PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Is there a certain date that orific stems stopped being made or at least commonly produced?

I just acquired a couple older estates with such stems and it just got me curious.

Any care and feeding tips for cleaning the stems? Especially the grotty bone tenons??

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’m really happy with the two little pipes I got, perfect size for a vest pocket and seemingly well cared after. The bone tenons on both have a fair amount of tar and gunk but I don’t want to bugger up anything by too aggressively cleaning. The airways seem clean so I’m thinking just lukewarm water and soft cleaners but not sure if alcohol is a good idea or not, even on the tenons?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’m really happy with the two little pipes I got, perfect size for a vest pocket and seemingly well cared after. The bone tenons on both have a fair amount of tar and gunk but I don’t want to bugger up anything by too aggressively cleaning. The airways seem clean so I’m thinking just lukewarm water and soft cleaners but not sure if alcohol is a good idea or not, even on the tenons?
Screw in bone tenons suggest an earlier period, 1890's through the teens. Bone tenons were pretty much history by 1920.
Amber and bone should be OK with water and a minute bit of unscented dish washing soap.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
The bulldog seems newer than the little billiard. The only markings on it are “French Briar” and “Real Amber”.

The billiard says Superior and ABC but I will need magnification to read the hallmarks and something else on the silver band. It seems a lot older. Just guessing at this point but you know how it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_6026.jpeg
    IMG_6026.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 14

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
The billiard is probably older. I’m not sure that the stem on the bulldog is actually amber. It looks like redmanol, which is a type of plastic that became popular in the teens and twenties.

I kinda wondered about that too, because it looks and feels significantly different from the older billiard stem. The stamp on the briar does say genuine amber, but that’s no guarantee.

Reactions: sablebrush52