PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Clip

Lurker
May 14, 2024
Southern Indiana
People talk about good aromatics that have a lot of flavor like Tombigbe and Rivendell. I tried them, and even though they’re pleasant, they taste like sugary air. Is this anyone else’s experience. Has anyone mixed an aromatic blend with a good burley blend like Pegasus or haunted bookshop?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I would never ruin Pegasus with an aromatic! 😂.

Aromatics just taste like hot air to me. And that's if I can even get them lit. I prefer my tobacco very dry, and aromatics do best when moist, holding the flavor in.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
People talk about good aromatics that have a lot of flavor like Tombigbe and Rivendell. I tried them, and even though they’re pleasant, they taste like sugary air. Is this anyone else’s experience. Has anyone mixed an aromatic blend with a good burley blend like Pegasus or haunted bookshop?
not crazy but to really get the most out of aromatics you have to pack them right, and smoke them right. Looser seems to let more air in and bring out more of the flavor and sipping the smoke over puffing on the pipe. A lot of wetter aromatics I find work best if I straight gravity fill drop tobacco in and don't tamp it down just tap the heel of the pipe to level it off a bit and repeat only pushing down the few stray bits sticking out at the top. It opens up the flavor and burns at a more even rate. But that's just me. Also sometimes it just takes time to really pick up on the flavor of any blend.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
This is my experience too. As I learned to smoke slower and cooler I got way more flavor from the tobaccos in an Aromatic and not just the topping.
I'm still not there yet. And I'll not be wasting any time / $ for a while to re-check. I just need to keep on with my other choices and if some day I reach that level then fine. Seems a slow process for me but at this point I wonder why I would "want" to be able to enjoy aromatics, so many other flavors easier to come by from other blends...
Yeah, for right now I'm happy to let others enjoy them.

• Love
Reactions: woodsroad
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Some of my favorite tobaccos are aromatics made by C&D. English chocolate is arguably my favorite.

Depends on what you consider aromatic. Blockade runner is another favorite, though not exactly aromatic, just flavored with rum. 140th. Their holiday blends. All well done to my taste and that crossroads of tobacco and flavorings.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'm still not there yet. And I'll not be wasting any time / $ for a while to re-check. I just need to keep on with my other choices and if some day I reach that level then fine. Seems a slow process for me but at this point I wonder why I would "want" to be able to enjoy aromatics, so many other flavors easier to come by from other blends...
Yeah, for right now I'm happy to let others enjoy them.
Yeah I think that's a fair approach, especially if you love what you're smoking right now. What's actually been the biggest joy in smoking slower is enjoying straight Virginias. I wondered how anyone could enjoy them then I learned to slow down and now they're magical.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
not crazy but to really get the most out of aromatics you have to pack them right, and smoke them right. Looser seems to let more air in and bring out more of the flavor and sipping the smoke over puffing on the pipe. A lot of wetter aromatics I find work best if I straight gravity fill drop tobacco in and don't tamp it down just tap the heel of the pipe to level it off a bit and repeat only pushing down the few stray bits sticking out at the top. It opens up the flavor and burns at a more even rate. But that's just me. Also sometimes it just takes time to really pick up on the flavor of any blend.
Oh after I start smoking I will still tamp down but not when packing. just thought I should clarify that.