PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Sorry if this thread already exists. I'm flying tomorrow and wondering if any of you have had any problems flying with your pipe and tobacco. I packed in my check-in bag, 1 can of Erinmore, two pipes in pouch with some loose aromatic, and folded a pipe magazine around all that. Anything I should think of? I will just buy matches when I get there.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I travel regularly internationally and have never had a problem. Even with lighters. As long as you don't light up you won't have a problem. If you travel internationally you need to check to see how much you can bring into that country legally. I by at least a pipe every where I go. My excuse is a "functional" souvenir. I always carry on the pipe so it doesn't break in my checked bag.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Thanks for that, Just don't want no hassle going thru customs. That would take away the fun. I will be looking for a pipe!

connolse

Lurker
Feb 20, 2010
I have had problems with a Czech pipe tool a while back, when the TSA goon confiscated it because of the "weapon-like" poker (his words) and gave me a lengthy lecture on how loving my country meant following TSA rules blah blah blah. I don't know if this guy was just having a bad day or if this is common, but I'd suggest NOT bringing an expensive pipe tool; a cheap Czech tool I can afford to lose. . .

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I remember reading an article about this some time ago. The author said he always puts pipes in carryon luggage (so nothing happens to them) and wears a polo shirt with a pipe logo on the front. When security looks at the pipes, them looks at him with a questioning look, he just sorta points to the pipe logo on his shirt and they figure it all out without too much questioning.

Sort of like wrapping them all up in a Pipes and Tobacco magazine.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
I don't trust airport knuckle draggers with antything of value in checked luggage.
Cigars, pipes, pipe tobaccy and camera go with me in a carry-on. I pack a couple packs of matches and a cigar cutter in the check on and carry a book of matches, a bic and a wooden dowell for tamping in the carry on.
I have nothing but contempt for the TSA gestapo. Common buger flippers with a lil power. my opinion

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I fly a lot within the U.S all of the time and you should have any problems with anything including your pipe tool as long as you place it in your checked bag or take a pipe nail and put it in your carry-on bag. Picking up matches or a disposable lighter at your destination is a good idea. Remember you can no longer lock your checked bags so it’s your call but I choose to keep my pipes with me in my carry-on bag rather than take a chance they could disappear while out of my hands.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
good thread as vacation season is approaching....so put the pipe, tobacco pouch and wooden tamper in your carry on? And what is acceptable for lighters and matches? I just remember the scene in farenheit 911 where they are telling how silly it is that someone in the Government thought that it is OK to carry 3 books of matches, but not 4. :crazy:

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
A standard zippo or the pipe zippos are ok. Any disposable should be good as well. Like connolse said above, nothing that can be seen as a weapon. So none of the lighters with the built in stuff. Those are too expensive to risk.
They confiscated a scale I travel with because it had a tape measure built it. They said the strength of the tape made it a weapon.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Belt, shoe string, bag strap, pen, belt buckle, computer mouse cable, dirty looks, germ infested coughs..... It is ridiculous.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What about that one Harry Potter book that feels like it weighs twenty pounds? lol That could do some damage, especially the hardback one. Definitly good advice though, and something I'll keep in mind next time I travel by plane.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
We're taking a cruise to Bermuda in 2 weeks so I don't anticipate any issues with my smoking paraphenalia. I booked a suite so we could have a private veranda off our room. The cruise line says that cigarette smoking is OK on the veranda but not pipes or cigars! There is a smoking lounge for cigars and pipes.

Well, I'm going to test that rule! For the $4 grand I paid for a veranda I'm going to do what I want. Do cruise lines keel-haul miscreants?

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
And this is why I drive everywhere, worth the extra money to be able to keep my pipe and cigs. by the way, when did the start letting you take this stuff on at all again?

Status
Not open for further replies.