PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Who here loves C&D and is lucky enough to have some well-aged tins? I'm raising my own hand as I was smoking some delightful 12-year old C&D Exhausted Rooster with my French press Brazilian coffee this morning.

Please welcome back E. Roberts a.k.a. "RomeoWood" from a five year hiatus. He wrote tobacco reviews for us from 2013 - 2016.

This is a fun one with a 14-year old tin of Cornell & Diehl's Sunday Picnic. Notice the bulging tin from the fermentation over the years.

Cornell & Diehl Sunday Picnic Review

I was lucky enough to find Sunday Picnic as one of my first tin purchases, after getting serious about pipes. I picked up a whole box from a back closet at the Briary that already had a couple of years on it, and is still one of my favorites.
One might want to try Red Carpet also if they loved this one, juts a very subtle difference. And, Opening Night tastes like the same Virginia without the perique. All of these I have cellared back deeply.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Similarly, just finished a tin of After Hours Flake from 2012. While it didn’t make my top ten, I would say it was likely the best version of itself. Nearly a decade did wonderful things to the character & flavor. I have tins of all your recommendations also from ‘12-‘14 I’m looking forward to working through soon. Thanks for sharing.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
...I would say it was likely the best version of itself. Nearly a decade did wonderful things to the character & flavor.
That's the perfect way to describe it, stogie. Looking back through a decade of notes confirms that after a few (2-4 ish) years it's peaked and then stays at that wonderful plateau. All those deep cellars are being rewarded handsomely for such patience!

Reactions: stogie37

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D has so many blends I'd never paid any attention to this one, though I have smoked and enjoyed many, bulk and tinned. I like the way Roberts gets right down to business giving the base and constituent tobaccos, so we know what we're talking about. His exegesis, if you will, is done in excellent detail. I feel I really know what to expect with this blend. I detoured so devotedly into burley and its many blends, C&D and otherwise, that I am left with a number of quality Va/Pers to explore, and this review might bring me back around to this one too. Right now I'm infatuated with the discontinued McC's Dark Star. It is an enthralling genre.

Reactions: stogie37