After Short Discussion Posts Are Closed?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes
3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
New Cigars
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Hello,

Has there been any new policy, regarding how long posts are going to stay alive, and then be automatically locked?

I’ve been noticing recently posts only a few days old, and as an example maybe only 4-6 pages, and then it’s mentioned that the post ran it’s course and was being closed.

I thought as long as people aren’t causing problems, then posts are always open, and aren’t locked after a short period of time?

Thanks

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Threads that are over a year old are usually locked but not deleted. Everything else is up to the moderator team discression. Sometimes we get to a thread after it's too late, and sometimes we can sense when something is going to go south. That's why we get paid the big bucks.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

No need to bring up IBTL, no one is creating a problem, doing this sort of thing before a problem starts, makes people assume there is always going to be a problem, so we better close the posts before a problem starts.

I was only asking, trying to understand is all, why legit posts in such a short period of time are being closed, and not allowing others to participate in is all.

The problem with closing posts like this, it makes people nervous about participating, when legit posts are closed, that are only a few days, a few weeks, or a few months old.

It’s like, you have to always be on your guard careful posting, and it shouldn’t be made to feel that way.

I’ve seen many posts, where certain things were not being discussed, that no one mentioned, that I wanted to share and help participate in, that fellow pipe smokers had questions on, but I couldn’t share and participate on because the posts were closed in a short period of time, and no one was causing problems.

Anyhow, I’m only sharing, and I’m hoping, as long as people aren’t causing problems, then posts aren’t being locked that are fairly recent.

This is all I wanted to share...

Thanks

Last edited:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
No need to bring up IBTL, no one is creating a problem, doing this sort of thing before a problem starts, makes people assume there is always going to be a problem, so we better close the posts before a problem starts.

We have a fundamental different understanding of IBTL.

To me it’s used sarcastically. Like I used it.

life is complicated enough. Just roll with what happens. Not everything is an attack or the end of a thread.

But that’s how I look at stuff. Your mileage may vary

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think the mods error on the side of caution to halt a thread before problems start. Sometimes I think they're too cautious. However, the alternative is to let things proceed, have nasty flame wars break out, then they're forced to suspend members or take other more serious measures. This forum operates remarkably peaceful. Therefore, it's difficult to be critical of their procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.