After 44 Years of Trying, Man Finally Manages to Commit Suicide.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I always thought bungee jumping was invented by new Zealanders who couldn't play rugby?

I imagine quite a few people have died bungee jumping. I remember a stuntman in Spain got his measurements wrong (too much slack) & paid the ultimate price for his miscalculation.

Jay, just in case you didn't know but you remember Shirley Bassey, the singer? Her daughter jumped off clifton bridge.... Without the bungee cord unfortunately.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Did he off himself? Or died of other cause? I would rather jump out of perfectly operating airplane than jump off bridge only supported by length bungee cord.

Reactions: yanoJL

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
More to the title of the thread, the most determined failed suicide I know of is Nicolas Chamfort...

Unable to tolerate the prospect of being imprisoned once more, in September 1793 he locked himself into his office and shot himself in the face. The pistol malfunctioned and he did not die even though he shot off his nose and his right eye. He then repeatedly stabbed his neck with a razor, but failed to cut an artery. He finally used the razor to stab himself in the chest and to cut his own hocks, aiming at the veins.[2] He dictated to those who came to arrest him the well-known declaration Moi, Sebastien-Roch Nicolas de Chamfort, déclare avoir voulu mourir en homme libre plutôt que d'être reconduit en esclave dans une maison d'arrêt ("I, Sebastien-Roch Nicolas de Chamfort, hereby declare my wish to die a free man rather than to be brought (again) as a slave in a prison") which he signed in a firm hand.[3] His butler found him unconscious in a pool of blood. From then until his death in Paris the following year, he suffered intensely and was attended to by a gendarme, whom he paid a crown a day.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
That wasn't what I was expecting reading the title. Man Dies After 44 Years of Fun would be a less sensationalist title, but far more accurate. Having been accused of attempting suicide many many many times for just trying to live my life, I feel for this Mr. Kirke. He just wanted to do something to spark excitement in life. No different than my sketchy motorcycles or years spent in foreign countries with a rifle or anything else really. Some understand and cheer you on. Others don't get it and go on with life. And a third group will not only not understand why, but them apply their own life's filter to the actions of others and judge accordingly. Rest well, David Kirke.