Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The forums here have really grown into a valuable resource and a fun place to hang out. I couldn't be happier with how they are going right now.
However, I'd like to point out something that I feel will keep these forums going strong as a valuable resource and a fun place to hang out ... and help continue to increase memberships and participation in our community.
Occasionally, I will get a PM, or email or some form of private 1 on 1 communication asking for advice on something related to pipe smoking, collecting, estate pipes, etc.
Even though I don't have the time for personal 1 on 1 consulting, there is a more important aspect to realize here. I always answer something like this:
The best thing you can do is post all of this in the public forum. Everyone here is super nice and actually enjoys answering questions like this. There is no need to feel embarrassed. Plus, it adds to the discussion and gives more people a chance to participate, and benefits many other readers that may have the same questions.
So I ask you guys that if YOU get PMs or emails asking for advice, to answer the same way I do. It will only make the forums better and benefit more people that are passive readers, and perhaps convince lurkers to join up and participate.
Thanks. :D

arko

Lurker
Sep 22, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Very good point, Kevin. It's noted.
I really like this place. I've been a regular visitor (and occasional poster) at some of the other pipe forums on the web, but pipesmagazine has quickly become my favorite. So, thank you, Kevin, for making it possible, and thank you all for making it happen.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Great point Kevin. Not trying to reinvent the wheel here but, maybe a real time chat funtion would also be a valuable tool. I have no clue of the logistics of anything techie so it might not be feasible. If it is not feasible I really think it would be no great lost since the product we get for the low price of Free99 is superb. :lol:
*Also spellcheck would be nice for us engrish failures.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Excellent point Kevin,

I too field a lot of questions in the PM.

I don't mind, it's kinda neat, but I'm not an expert.

I think most questions deserve some discussion from multiple points of view.

And.... of course comment from Cortez :D
Please don't be shy guys, dive right in!

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
You could try making a thread with a link to a chatroom. Somthing at like tinychat.com or somthing.
Edit: Perhaps consider somthing like this, i've gone ahead and just made a quick room. Which can be done by simply putting in the tinychat.com URL, and then '/' and provide the name of the room which you choose.

http://tinychat.com/PipeSmokersForum

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I appreciate the suggestions for a chat room, and could technically do it, but that would negate the benefit of documenting the information here in the forums for others to read and add to at a later time.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I agree Kevin. PMs do not have the same benefits that posting

in open forum provides. This is really how we all learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.