PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Greetings Pipers! I have a request for suggestions in acquiring a pre-70's "patent" Parker pipe. I know nothing of them, except that they bear my surname and I am interested in acquiring a good specimen at a reasonable cost. Any and all advice is appreciated. I see currently that there are four estate Parkers on SP but have no idea of their relative merits.

Reactions: JimInks

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Really nice! I’m not hung up on patent era… just want a nice specimen.
Yes, so long as we’re not hung up on collecting Dunhills, family-era Barlings and Sasieni one dots, there are lots of well-made later era production pipes at a very reasonable cost.

I have lots of old Britwoods.
While my younger ones (‘60-‘70s) may not have the cachet, they generally perform every bit as well as their much vaunted elders

Reactions: Manawydan
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I have two Parkers bought as basket pipes in Leith. Love them both.
I assume that you bought them at The Pipe Shop on Leith Walk. Delightful little shop! I've just finished season 3 of a series called Guilt, which centered on a crime family based on Leith. They sure made Leith sound hardscrabble, to borrow a term from Joe Biden. My wife and I walked from the train station in Edinburgh to The Pipe Shop in about 30 minutes, so it wasn't very far. While the neighborhood became more working class as we got further from Edinburgh, I never felt unsafe. It was midday and along a major street, though. Is Leith as rough and tumble as suggested in the show?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I think I have ten Parkers in my collection, most (or possibly all) of which belonged to Mike Reschke at one time. Sadly, I joined CPCC a year too late to have met Mike, who was a founding member and long-time president, but I am honored to call his widow, Nancy, my friend. He was the undisputed king of Parker collectors. I have a couple patent era among my collection. They're all very good, very British, pipes. I don't get hung up on the question of whether Parker was largely independent or mostly selling Dunhill seconds. I just enjoy my Parkers on their own merits.

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
I think I have ten Parkers in my collection, most (or possibly all) of which belonged to Mike Reschke at one time. Sadly, I joined CPCC a year too late to have met Mike, who was a founding member and long-time president, but I am honored to call his widow, Nancy, my friend. He was the undisputed king of Parker collectors. I have a couple patent era among my collection. They're all very good, very British, pipes. I don't get hung up on the question of whether Parker was largely independent or mostly selling Dunhill seconds. I just enjoy my Parkers on their own merits.
I’d love to see a pic of your Parkers! I am trying to figure out if there is a specific line or ‘grade’ that I should be looking for. I didn’t see any info on Pipedia about that (lots of info about date codes and such). Maybe doesn’t matter? Pick a shape/finish that appeals and go for it?

dingdong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
I’d love to see a pic of your Parkers! I am trying to figure out if there is a specific line or ‘grade’ that I should be looking for. I didn’t see any info on Pipedia about that (lots of info about date codes and such). Maybe doesn’t matter? Pick a shape/finish that appeals and go for it?
I would prefer to stay on pre-1967 date (before merger of Parker & Hardcastle) as it is still run fairly independently. After mergers & under bigger brands (in this case Dunhill) pipe brands fade away (like Parker, Hardcastle, Charatan etc) hence the declining quality due to rationalisation and lack of independence is styling and quality of the briar and finishing.This is typical, similiar to automotive industries, oil & gas, etc.

Parker is also relatively difficult to date unlike for instance a Charatan..yet of all these preferences, of course if you like the pipe, the shape, weight and touch, just go for it. puffypuffypuffy

Reactions: Manawydan