PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
I just came across the "Action Alerts" menu on the lower left side of the home page at this site. I hope everyone here watches it as we do not need more government regulations of this business--or any other business IMO. The links there take you to a great site with more info and an app that easily sends your email to your elected reps. That site has this page - http://capwiz.com/rtda/issues/bills/?type=ST. There you can see if your state is considering additional legislation.
There are not many of us so we all need to "vote".

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
An interesting but not completely effective site, depending on how your state representation is structured. Maryland has three bills detailing with the increase in tax on tobacco products. Through that interface, I sent emails to my two legislators (my wife works for one, a state Senator) opposing this legislation. Indeed, sitting beside me with her work laptop it was received. Sadly, as a conservative Republican, he already opposes any increases in tax so my email to him won't do much good. My wife said I would be better served getting a letter out to the folks on the committee. If you choose the "click for status", you can find the individuals on a particular committee that have sponsored the bill. Those are the folks where letters need to be sent. My wife advises written letters get action, emails, not so much (they get inundated). A written letter almost guarantees a written response. At least that is how it works in Maryland. She adds her office has received exactly one email or any communication on these tobacco bills, mine. The Senator would need a lot more communication to get his attention on any issue. This will pass and I'll be taking my tobacco business to Pennsylvania.
As a classic car enthusiast, my British car club is opposing legislation changing the way a car with an "antique" plate can be used. We have sent a number of written letters to every individual on the bill committee and our local representatives in the Senate and House. We will travel to Annapolis to testify at a hearing in opposition to this bill. Sadly, it takes this level of effort to stop this type of nonsense (we already have effective regulations on the books on antique plates that are not enforced, why add more?). The gun advocates (myself included) also organize and react in a similar way. It takes this level of passion to elicit any change and even so, it is difficult in Maryland as we are a Democratic controlled state.

Status
Not open for further replies.