Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend who stopped smoking 30 years ago, about the same time that I did, but who hasn't taken up pipes again very recently as I have, gave me his stash of old pipes, including these 2 Meerschaums. They were in a grotty state, but I followed @OzPiper's advice to give them a mild scrub with a soapy toothbrush (and dry them quickly afterwards). Before & After pics attached.
Can anyone identify one or both?

IMG_1401.jpegIMG_1409.jpegIMG_1403.jpegIMG_1410.jpeg

First one probably a Peterson, second,,,Kiko?...
First one probably a Peterson, second,,,Kiko?...
Thnx weezell. There is a Peterson Meer which has a similar bowl, but mine doesn't have a mount, and has a fishtail. Googling your suggestions has been an educational experience in itself :) My friend taught in Africa for a few years.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'm pretty certain that both are African (Tanganyikan) meerschaum. They were sold under several brand names - Kiko being one of them. Among the others are Peterson, Manx, and even Barling

I have 3 - a Peterson system and 2 Kikos. I like them as they are denser than Turkish meers and to my simple thinking, more robust. They also came pre-coloured, so I don't have to worry about the coloration process.

I love pristine white meers, and also after they have taken up a deep patina, but can't abide the in-between stages when they are mottled ! Yes, I know, rather weird, but that's just my OCD in evidence :)

Hi Richard,
Just thought I'd ask how you are going with those 2 meers ?
Any problems cleaning them out ?
And more germane, have you had a smoke out of them ?
Cheers,
Ray
Thanks for asking, Ray. I cleaned them up following your kind and wise advice. I smoked each of them. They don't take a filter, and I've decided to only acquire pipes with 9mm filters. So, since they didn't cost me anything, I swapped one with a friend for a French pipe, and I gave the other away to someone who we (pipe-smoking fellow ministers) had converted from RYOs to a pipe.

Reactions: kcghost and OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've decided to only acquire pipes with 9mm filters. So, since they didn't cost me anything, I swapped one with a friend for a French pipe
Richard,

After cleaning numerous estate pipes and seeing the amount of gunk that accumulate in the airways, I can well understand your concern.

The Europeans (Italians and Germans) seem to have a preference for filters in their pipes. Savinelli, Rattray and Vauen are brands that come to mind.

I have only had 2 filtered pipes, both of which I gifted to others, as I prefer unfiltered pipes. Irrational, as I used to smoke filtered cigarettes in the '60s.

Status
Not open for further replies.