PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Hello everyone,
Since I am brand new to this forum and have made only one post so far, I thought I would share this little project with you. Some people have said that they would like to see some of my work, and I will post some, but this sort of fell into my lap this weekend so I thought I would take everyone along for the ride. Pictured below is a non descript little pipe that lacks any sort of makers mark. I have my suspissions of what it might be, but the only marking on it is on the stummel that says "imported briar".

5848941_orig.jpg

5992526_orig.jpg

As you can see from the above pictures, it is just a nice little pipe with some major finish issues. The bowl is about 1.5" or so high and the OAL is 5.5". If you look at the next pic, you will see the real problems.

6144900_orig.jpg

Badly oxidized stem with heavy bite marks on one side, broken tenon, obviously the stinger fell out when the tenon broke. According to the owner, the stem was very loose before it was broken and the washer was not actually attached to anything, it just slid on over the tenon. I asked hiim why he wanted to get it repaired/restored and he told me that it was his grandfathers and he always remembered him smoking a pipe and this one stuck out in his mind and made him think of his grandfather ever time he saw it. He wants it restored to as close to original as possible for sentimental reasons.
Well, after thinking about it for a minute I told him that a full restoration would probably cost more than the value of the pipe. He said he understood, but still wanted it restored. I told him I would do it under one condition and for a flat fee. I agreed to do it only if he would share a bowl with me using the restored pipe when it was finished, and since he is one of my best friends the cost would be 2 pounds of his home made vinison sausage. He agreed so the project is on the way. I thought I would post pics here of the progress just to show how I do things and how my work turns out.
Here is the plan, brand new stem with the stinger attached, cleaned reamed and refinished bowl, then buff and finish to a better than original finish. Step one is to clean up the bowl.I cleaned the out the shank and have lightly sanded it to 500 grit which you can see in the pic below. I have also reamed it. In my next post we will see what I come up with for the stem.

3228470_orig.jpg

3949386_orig.jpg

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Coalsmoke, I don't really have a need for it and the customer does not want it back. I have several pre-molded that are the about the same size and plenty of rod stock to make any more I might need. Do you have a need for it? If so, let me know.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Thanks for the nice words all. I will definately keep you posted. It will be at least a few days before I post part 2. With work, things to get done here at home, commiments and the Lodge, sometimes projects can take a while. :)
Numbersix, The more I stared at this little thing and it stared back, I realized I really have no clue what brand this pipe is. It really is a nice looking little pipe though.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Wow, looks great. I love seeing what people can do with pipes. I am anxious to see what you come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.