PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddog

Lurker
Nov 13, 2012
Recently, I have been transitioning away from the cigs, to the more refined and nostalgic world of pipe smoking. I'm enjoying everything about it, and wishing I could tell my juvenile self that the pipe is "The Way."

Even with living in a fairly large city, I have found my B&M's a little bit of a let down, and have gravitated to the online shopping experience for the tobacco. I can honestly say that even with the help of the review site, I am lost in the endless choices of tobacco. Bulk or Tin, Type, Brand, Cut, etc. So to my question...What would be a recommended base sampling of all, that would allow for one to discover their preference without ending up buried in a silo of tobacco? I've started with this collection....

McClelland

-Old Dog

-#22 VA

-Town Topic

-2012 Xmas Cheer

-Holiday Spirit

-Tastemaster

Local Blend

-Cherry Almond

-Misc. Aro

Capt. Black

-White

-Light

-Cherry
Any "Best of the Best" that I could look to sample in my next round of ordering?

I can honestly say, at this point, I really dig the Old Dog. There's a richness to the flavor that warms the soul, almost like sipping an ultra smooth bourbon (fire roasted marshmallows come to mind). On the other hand, I like how the Captains smoke; smooth and almost creamy. I do like the flavor of some of the Aros (and the wife enjoys the room notes), but I find they all seem to have the same lingering flavor of "burnt" sugar. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It looks like that list is predominantly aromatics,although the one you like most, Old Dog, is an English blend.
English blends are a whole world unto themselves. (No two people will agree on a "Best of the Best" list, incidentally.) My personal favorites of the English/Balkan/latakia blends include MacBaren's HH Vintage Syrian, Peterson Old Dublin, Hearth and Home Larry's Blend, and McCranie's Murdock's Pipe.
My last piece of advice would be, Smoke the best tobacco you can afford.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and/or it's "big brother," Nightcap
+1
I like aros, but if you're a cig smoker looking to make the transition, the Dunhills may be more satisfying and help you stay away from the nails. Also Cornell Diehl's Bayou Night - it's a lot like smoking a cigarette IMHO.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If you are trying to kick the nails, get some Five Brothers. It's a shag cut Burley and has substantially more nicotine than a lot of others. It isn't big on flavor, but you can either smoke it or add it to another baccy if you are feeling the pack calling you.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would recommend grabbing a tin of Escudo and Petersons Irish Flake. The Irish flake will take care of any nicotine needs and the Escudo is just a great classic blend.

reddog

Lurker
Nov 13, 2012
Thanks everyone, for the suggestions. I did notice the other posting, only after I had made mine. I do apologize for the redundancy. Thank you for pointing it out though!

Status
Not open for further replies.