PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I'm sure that many of you past 70, like me, have been confronted with an immune system that is going to crap, and this is affecting your lifestyle. My whine is the recent development of eczema, which I never had at any point in my life until three years ago.

Now I have to be very careful of what I eat, or I turn into an itch machine. I'm pretty disciplined by nature, and have it under control. Usually. Every once in a while though, I say "What the heck. I'll eat it. Maybe it'll run the Gauntlet." Like buying tobacco in the US 🤣 !! Once in a while ya have to cough up $400 bucks or so, and you have to plan for it. The benefits of a pipe and cigars (ie nicotine) are demonstrably theraputic in their calming effect, and usually better than any pills the "medical profession" can supply. Hidden research can back this up.

This is the reason I'm not doing a total tobacco fast for 3 days, and am still having a couple of cigars a day. It takes away the itch. Really.

The pipe and cigars really help my relaxation, and stress can bring on an eczema attack more quickly than a food I love that can occasionally run the gauntlet. And it lets me explore avenues of taste that regular food will not now let me do. My diet is very restricted.

How about you? What are the real and tangible benefits of the pipe that have your life better? Love to hear about this.

:)

Reactions: jpberg and khiddy

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Bath with plain Dawn dish soap in lukewarm water and apply this. Ointment version not the cream.

View attachment 323555
Will certainly do that. Thanks. I'll pick up some Dawn next shopping trip to town.

I've a couple of tubes of 1% hydrocortisone, and it works but like anything else, you have to mix things up once in a while 'cause the system gets used to a particular drug or remedy. Natural things like proper diet, essential oils and so forth, seem to work better. AND THE PIPE. :)

Reactions: Chasing Embers

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As for the whine, I recommend a good cheese.

Dawn! Wow, what memories! Dawn in the bathtub. She really enjoyed those sessions, as did I. And we came out smelling fresh as Daisies!
Ooops, got off track. Back to pairing a cheese with your whine- I recommend an aged cheddar.

Hope all recovers fully quickly.

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Getting old is tough. I haven't picked up anything new since reaching 70 but then I don't go out near as often as I used to and generally am not around very young children,
Yeah. Rember that old saying, "Listen well, young man. Yesterday I was 16, and today I am 70." Happens overnight, doesn't it?

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sufferers would do well to eliminate oils high in linoleic acid.

View attachment 323578
Yes, that chart is a real boon to eczema sufferers. There are a lot more of them out there now, mostly because of diet and seed oils

What is not as well known is that eczema is principally an auto-immune condition, and as we reach our late middle age and 70's especially, our immune system goes to ratspit and all of a sudden we are more susceptible to lots of things. I'm beginning to thing that, judging from the responses in this post, that eczema is not uncommon at all amongst forum members. :cry:

I find smoking a pipe or cigars a tremendous aid to itching when it occurs. Relaxation is a real key here. And we all know that nicotine relaxes us.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes, that chart is a real boon to eczema sufferers. There are a lot more of them out there now, mostly because of diet and seed oils

What is not as well known is that eczema is principally an auto-immune condition, and as we reach our late middle age and 70's especially, our immune system goes to ratspit and all of a sudden we are more susceptible to lots of things. I'm beginning to thing that, judging from the responses in this post, that eczema is not uncommon at all amongst forum members. :cry:

I find smoking a pipe or cigars a tremendous aid to itching when it occurs. Relaxation is a real key here. And we all know that nicotine relaxes us.
The worst part is I'm a scratcher. I love it. I know I shouldn't do it, but with many things I still do, I don't care.

Eczema is bad enough, but I'm allergic to Nickel. Found out the hard way with my old belt Buckle. The rash I would get on my stomach was the ITCHIEST thing I've ever come across. And scratching it was better than sex. I've had my nickel free belt for 7 or so years now, and the rash never came back.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I’m not over 70 but I’ve always had crystal clear eyesite and appreciated it so much that I thought about it often until I hit 50. Now I can’t see a damned thing. Worst part is I have to wear glasses just to see the food on my plate.

But every evening meal is followed by a pipe and I don’t need glasses for that. Though I might not know what I’m smoking if I can’t read the tin.

Last edited:

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

Yes, definitely auto-immune. Back when there was more rationality and less denial, eczema and similar was acknowledged as a response which precluded any further vaccinating of that individual if it occurred to a child.

lukifer

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2022
Minnesota, US
Tell me about it. When I turned 30 I started noticing my ability to recover from excersize and my metabolic rate take a sharp nosedive. Getting old is hell, that's for sure.

But all jokes aside, FLDRD has a good point. I have noticed that if my omega 3 to 6 ratio gets out of whack I develop random skin irritations, systic acne and random aches and pains.

I would highly recommend experimenting with limiting nuts, seeds and fatty white meat. Don't cut them out entirely as if you become omega 6 deficient you can severely compromise your immune system. At the same time significantly increase your omega 3 intake. Salmon, Cod liver and lots of fresh/lightly cooked veggies are great sources. Try and shoot for at least a 2:1 ratio of omega 3 to 6 or better for a few weeks, see if that helps. I'd bet you a dollar it would do wonders for clearing up eczema and other high inflammatory symptoms you might not even realize you have.

Also worth noting that excess high glycemic carbohydrate intake and the resulting elevated insulin levels could also cause excess inflammation but you probably already know that.

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Yes, definitely auto-immune. Back when there was more rationality and less denial, eczema and similar was acknowledged as a response which precluded any further vaccinating of that individual if it occurred to a child.
I used to get eczema as a child, grass pollen was the trigger. We didn't have universal vaccination back then and the allergy was gone by puberty anyway.

Somewhat irritatingly, there is an as-yet unapproved treatment for aging immune systems that will likely never see the light of day. Our T cells start to go into hibernation after 55, so the treatment is a benign bacterial infection which induces a high fever for a short time and galvanises the sleepy T cells into action. The immune system is restored by this and the effect lasts for a couple of years, which can be repeated. Of course, that really threatens some invested people's profits... I would also expect it to reduce the incidence of cancer in the elderly and immunosuppressed too, so we'll definitely never see it on the shelves :/

• Love
Reactions: gord

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I'm sure that many of you past 70, like me, have been confronted with an immune system that is going to crap, and this is affecting your lifestyle. My whine is the recent development of eczema, which I never had at any point in my life until three years ago.

Now I have to be very careful of what I eat, or I turn into an itch machine. I'm pretty disciplined by nature, and have it under control. Usually. Every once in a while though, I say "What the heck. I'll eat it. Maybe it'll run the Gauntlet." Like buying tobacco in the US 🤣 !! Once in a while ya have to cough up $400 bucks or so, and you have to plan for it. The benefits of a pipe and cigars (ie nicotine) are demonstrably theraputic in their calming effect, and usually better than any pills the "medical profession" can supply. Hidden research can back this up.

This is the reason I'm not doing a total tobacco fast for 3 days, and am still having a couple of cigars a day. It takes away the itch. Really.

The pipe and cigars really help my relaxation, and stress can bring on an eczema attack more quickly than a food I love that can occasionally run the gauntlet. And it lets me explore avenues of taste that regular food will not now let me do. My diet is very restricted.

How about you? What are the real and tangible benefits of the pipe that have your life better? Love to hear about this.

:)
What does your dermatologist say?

Reactions: gord

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
What does your dermatologist say?
Nothing. I don't have a dermatologist, and fired my last doctor seven years ago. Since then, I've enjoyed the best health of my life.

The only doctors that will see me again are the emergency ones that will deal with me when I collapse and am rushed to the hospital in an ambulance. If I'm not found dead in my own house.