PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Wheels

Lurker
Mar 19, 2024
Orange county, California
As I was watching the smoke curling up from my pipe, a thought occurred to me. I read here that some tobaccos contain propylene glycol. That’s what they put in e-cigarettes that, when it gets hot, generates a white fog that looks like smoke but isn’t. I wonder if my pipe smoke is at least partially that fog rather than plain smoke? How could you tell?

Some will say “who cares.” And, they’re right. It probably doesn’t really matter but it still makes me wonder.

ThomasS

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
PG is a humectant - it controls humidity. Used in moderation, it can be quite helpful. Used as a "keep stuff moist on the 'smoke shop' shelf for as long as possible" is where it starts to suck. But cloudy smoke is not necessarily a sign: you can make thick billowy smoke without it. Get some plain C&D Black Cavendish: no flavor, no PG, but you will swear that you just set off a smoke bomb.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
At most I only produce an occasional wisp. Onlookers often assume my pipe isn't even lit so who knows?

Wheels

Lurker
Mar 19, 2024
Orange county, California
I'm happy that manufacturers add Propylene Glycol in their pouch tobaccies, I find it is consumer friendly approach , one can always air out tobacca prior to smoke, procedure which eventually dissipate PG
Propylene Glycol has a low volatility and doesn't really evaporate at room temperatures. It's hygroscopic and attracts water which is why it keeps tobacco moist. If you heat it enough, it will vaporize. That may be why drying tobacco in a microwave seems to work so well.