36 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Can't Leave
Well, I did it again. Pushed the button on a new pipe. Had reason to though . . . a buddy of mine broke one of his favorite pipes. I happened to have the same pipe and I hated it. So I gave it to him. So I figured I'd replace it and the decision began. I was going to get another Ropp (have three of them and they are the most delightful smoking little fellas I've ever put between my teeth. Then there was the longstems . . . . nope, got enough. And the Falcons? Well I have two of them, and two of the bowls are pretty much broken in and I'm really enjoying them. So, I made my decision.

After looking at the gamut available, I ordered the one pictured. I have an International and a chromed straight, so I thought I'd go a bent design in brown. Glad I did. It's now my favorite - started right in with the meerschaum lined bowl being biased for rum based and Backwoods Buttered Rum, which I have an unexplained fondness for, not really a fan of the rum-cherry-fruit aromatics, smoking them only occasionally and usually when my friend Mike is over, as he inhales these things like they were going out of style. Yeah, once in a while they're okay, but I limit my intake.

So now there are three.

New Falcon.JPG
But that's not all. This is kinda weird so bear with me. As I got the new pipe and put a bowl on it, I noticed I had 3 Falcons, 3 Ropps, 3 Brighams, 3 Seafarer/Prospector longstems, 3 top drawer expensive (for me) pipes - Savinelli, a Peterson and a Tundra Classic, 3 Meerschaums, 3 longstem Ash Churchwardens, 3 longstem Briar Churchwardens and, 33 pipes in total. I got a strong strong feeling that the buying stops now!

No, I most certainly didn't plan this but until I get major indications otherwise, I think I'll be smokin' and not buyin'. :rolleyes:

And by the way, the pictured Falcon is one fine smoking pipe, and I think I'll be enjoying it almost every day because of those interchangeable bowls. Kind of reminiscent of my old Pentax Spotmatic with its screw mount lenses.

I think that's about enough for now, eh? Thanks for looking in.

gord

Can't Leave
Now get you some cobs.
I have one, and its purpose in life is to go fishing with me and the Falcon lol. Gonna be holding it where it is! Got too much tobacco debt thanks to Customs Canada . . . . and a court session with them over the charging me for gram weight of pipes as tobacco. $400 charge completely erroneous. I'm on the data base now so I'll only order treasured addictions occasionally such as Mad Fiddler, Black Frigate and Bengal Slices. For them I'll willingly shell out the $75 a tin; can't do without these. Small pipes help stretch things.

Have a small stash of each of these, fortunately! bdw

Last edited:

BlueMaxx

Can't Leave
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Just wait 'till didimauw gets you going on Ropps. You'll not sleep for weeks! :LOL: They're twoderful!

It'll be funny farm time!
cray

I guess I haven't because I never have figured out which configuration would be best and whether to go bent or straight…I am a clencher, also if I need the "dental" bit or not.
So many dang options it just becomes a bit overwhelming and I just grab the ol' 315.

Reactions: gord

gord

Can't Leave
I guess I haven't because I never have figured out which configuration would be best and whether to go bent or straight…I am a clencher, also if I need the "dental" bit or not.
So many dang options it just becomes a bit overwhelming and I just grab the ol' 315.
In all honesty, you can't go wrong with any of their designs because the innards are all the same. However, I'd recommend the plain jane straight model with the regular bit, even if your a "clencher". It'll be just fine, and you can always add another frame later. They're not expensive, and rugged as all get out.

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Congrats on the third Falcon!

Don't know if anyone has told you yet, but now you qualify to put on your rub slippers, tap your heels together three times, and repeat, "There's no place like home..... There's no place like home...."

Auntie Em will meet you in the driveway smoking her Falcon... :col:

• Love
Reactions: gord and BlueMaxx

JoeW

Can't Leave
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
I bought my third stem a few weeks ago, an international bent stem, to go with the chrome bent stem and the blue and chrome Shillelagh. I expected that the Shillelagh would be the favorite, but I almost always use the chrome bent stem: it's very comfortable for clenching, which I never expected to do.

Reactions: gord and BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx

Can't Leave
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
In all honesty, you can't go wrong with any of their designs because the innards are all the same. However, I'd recommend the plain jane straight model with the regular bit, even if your a "clencher". It'll be just fine, and you can always add another frame later. They're not expensive, and rugged as all get out.

Thanks!

gord

Can't Leave
I've been eyeing a 50mm chimney bowl for my falcons, anyone have one that can give a report of how they smoke? I'm looking at it particularly for flakes (e.g., PS Luxury Navy Flake, PS Luxury Twist Flake, Sutliff 507C VA Slices, GH Louisiana Flake, etc.).
Excellent question.

I have many questions about similar bowls. I don't have a chimney, but I do have three very tall Dublins in various pipe configurations, and I'm a bit flummoxed by smoking them. I relight them MUCH more than other stlyles - there is a LOT of ash that forms at the top, and it eventually interferes with the draw after a certain amount of tamping. Then the pipe usually goes out. The "cherry" needs oxygen to burn, and all of this ash detritus at the top clogs the bowl, at least in my experience. And type of tobacco doesn't seem to matter - the cherry needs to be fed.

I've had relief by GENTLY turning the pipes over and letting the white ash fall out of the pipe as often as it needs to. It's one solution - even my little Ropp J05 displays this anomely. Once the bowl has attained standard dimension within, then it behaves like a normal pipe.

I'm sure there are smokers out there that can answer our questions - and later on this afternoon I'll start a thread about it. There might be answers within this thread, but it's not going to reach all of the smokers who can help us.

Stay tuned and thanks for your reply.

I've just posted the thread now. Let's see what the sages come up with.

Reactions: BlueMaxx