PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
On a recent trip to a local B&M (Harvey's of Redruth) I spied this particular pipe in his cabinet and was rather taken by it. An unusual purchase for me as my preference is for bent pipes but this one with its gorgeous straight grain all around the bowl made me aver from my usual purchase preferences.
The pipe was a mere £35 ($43) and for that price I think I got myself a bargain. By the way it is a filter pipe so the filter was immediately ditched and it smokes great without it though I am told an adapter can be purchased that would help reduce the somewhat open draw though I am not aware of anyone who actually sells them.
As can be seen, the straight grain goes all around the bowl so therefore there is some lovely bird's eye on both the rim and bottom of the pipe.
There is only one problem, and it puzzles me more that it bothers me...if one looks carefully at pictures #1 and #4 one will see that rather than being stamped 'ADSORBA' it is actually stamped 'ADSOBA'. Why would this be? The brand itself is not a high end one so I see no reason why anyone would want to knock off their pipes so the puzzle remains :roll:
1x17-600x400.jpg

2x18-600x400.jpg

3x14-600x400.jpg

4x12-600x400.jpg

5x9-600x400.jpg

6x9-600x400.jpg

7x7-600x400.jpg

8x6-600x400.jpg

Regards,
Jay.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Beautiful ! That is a fine looking specimen and lovely grain! You have a good eye, sir. :)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The missing "R"! Perhaps they stamped with single letters and were careless?"
Interesting conjecture John but I would have thought most if not all pipemakers would simply have a single master block with their name/brand rather than do each individual letter separately (in the hope of getting it all in a straight line) and stamp all their output thus.
One aspect not too obvious in the pictures is the last 'A' is slightly skewed which again is slightly suspicious.
None of this is a huge concern though I would love to know how/why this happened.
Troutface, perhaps the extra 'R' might have pushed up the price by a pound or two so perhaps I ought count my blessings :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My guess is that this is a handsome and well made knock-off. Chinese or Eastern European maybe. I don't think they'd misspell their own name, and the likelihood that this is a totally different brand with a name so close is remote. Or maybe it was one day with a new stamp that was spelled wrong, in which case you have a sort of collector's item. So what? This seems to be a fine pipe at a bandit price. The pipe gods smile upon thee. I like pokers. They are not beauties, but the are straightforward, sit well, and incidentally are ideal for burley and burley blends, if you like those. Boy, that price, it makes me old Scottish heart race.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"The missing "R"! Perhaps they stamped with single letters and were careless?"
Interesting conjecture John but I would have thought most if not all pipemakers would simply have a single master block with their name/brand rather than do each individual letter separately (in the hope of getting it all in a straight line) and stamp all their output thus.
Most would! That's one reason it's conjecture.... :)

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I'm not usually a poker fan, but that's a fine one. The grain looks like it was grown for a poker.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I forgot to mention the pipe came boxed with the brand correctly printed on all sides. A mystery indeed.
When next visiting Redruth I shall pay matey a visit and look at his other Adsorba/Adsoba pipes :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.