PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Wow.

I have only one "vintage" and it's from the 60s/70s (and a favorite) - will be checking out the wick as soon as I get home today. Likely will just replace it rather than take any chances.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Upon doing some reading I found some information that Zippo used asbestos for their wicks up until the 1980s. Handle with care.
Any confirmation from Zippo on that info ?? Just curious as that info does come from an asbestos claim lawfirm ... probably as trustworthy as anything else but ... what does Zippo say if you know.,
All of my zippos are pre-80s.

Any Good news on Bics ? :ROFLMAO:

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Any confirmation from Zippo on that info ?? Just curious as that info does come from an asbestos claim lawfirm ... probably as trustworthy as anything else but ... what does Zippo say if you know.,
All of my zippos are pre-80s.

Any Good news on Bics ? :ROFLMAO:
It’s true and verifiable, yes - I didn’t doubt @Chasing Embers but naturally started doing some reading and checking out the date on my lighter.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
It’s true and verifiable, yes - I didn’t doubt @Chasing Embers but naturally started doing some reading and checking out the date on my lighter.
I never doubt @Chasing Embers but my own research did not reveal any source other than the lawfirm. But if you say its so ... good enough.

Next Question: Who makes the best replacement wicks ? (safest?). (I will have to replace 7 or 8.
1723673330060.png

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I never doubt @Chasing Embers but my own research did not reveal any source other then the lawfirm. But if you say its so ... good enough.

Next Question: Who makes the best replacement wicks ? (safest?). (I will have to replace 7 or 8.
Would be no reason to be worried about the safety of current Zippo replacement wicks - no idea on whether anyone else makes them but I'm sure many here would know about substitutes.

Reactions: Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
According to this youtube video they were mostly phased out between 82-84. Ban went into effect in 1989.
New ones have copper wire wrap supposedly. Apparently no real info from Zippo though. Curiouser and Curiouser ...