PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I made a Perique thread previously in the blending section, for those of you that gave advice and information - thank you for participating.

Here is a verbose sharing of my experiences with some different periques.

The Periques sourced were as follows (and are visible in the following photo from left to right) :

1)Sutliff TS20 Blending Perique
2)Pipes and Cigars Blending Perique
3)Daughters and Ryan Blenders Bench Acadian Perique.

IMG_20201021_174421.jpg
As you can see the Sutliff and P&C periques look very similar. The D&R perique is mostly a fine Shang-like ribbon cut, with some rogue strips of whole leaf interspersed within.

IMG_20201021_175018.jpg

The pipe used for this experiment is a Tsuge "The Tasting 16" briar pipe. At its size, a tasting (or Flake pipe) it is.

The Sutliff and P&C were purchased in bulk and arrived in a plastic press-lock bag. The D&R arrived in 6oz Tubs.

IMG_20201021_171903.jpg

Sutliff:

The Sutliff smells like fish. Or fish sauce. Or fishy soy sauce. Whatever adjectives could be used, there one thing that is undeniable - its funky. Mixing with other tobaccos and blends lends a pervasive funk taste and smell that can be quickly overpowering. Some may find it off putting.

Despite the complexity offered by umami-lending characteristics from something akin to soy-sauce, it's fairly one-dimensional. Funky with some salt. The pepper, earth, spice, and rich herbal smell and taste just isn't there.

Smoked alone, it gives a salty funk taste, and is surprisingly mild. Puffed harder it lends some some raw horseradish spice, but neither increases in complexity nor flavor. The smell is a direct clue to the taste. That being said, I'd imagine a small amount could do interesting things to a blend that is dry or raw tasting.

I've found it to deaden and unify the taste of blends that I've added it to. It absorbs flavors more than adds to them.

There is zero plum or fruity taste, and a very very minute sweetness not unlike, well, soy or fish sauce.

P&C

The P&C, as you can see in the photos above, looks near identical to the Sutliff, but that's where the similarities end.

The smell is very interesting, and offers vague hints of the taste to come. Earthy, slightly herbal, musky leather (but not B.O. funky). I might be reaching, but I almost get a oak smell from it akin to that of whisky.

The taste is complex. Earth, dry dry chocolate, pepper, leathery raw beef. Palate filling. Yet somehow still tastes crisp and fresh. This perique is not vaguely related to the Sutliff.

It is surprisingly "bright" and "fresh" tasting. The flavor components are scattered and not uniform, almost as if this is a blend in itself.

There's an incense peppery note in the retrohale that is not unpleasant. In fact, I didn't want to stop smoking it. It is in no means overbearing, and I was reminded of some of my favorite VaPers.

Still, no plum or sweetness.

D&R

The D&R is paler and came drier than the other two periques. It's smell is very fresh, hardly any funk, and very earthy and almost charred oak-y smelling. It smells delicious.

The taste is very similar to that of the P&C. Many of the same flavors are there, but it is more clean tasting and a very dry smoke. If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say that P&C took the same or similar perique and simply added some preservative(s) or Humectant(s) to it.

Now, it may be a function of the apparent unmolested nature of the D&R, but it was certainly the best smoking of the three. It could be sipped, during which the herbal and earth notes would absolutely dance. Wow, amazing stuff.

It could also be puffed harder and the pepper would rear its head. A tasty pepper like that of the spice, not simply the dry horseradish-like taste.

I'd have to let the P&C and D&R meld and age with other varietals to tell a large difference between the two, but to my tastes, the D&R tasted like a fresh rub of a mixture of fresh spices, while the P&C tasted like McCormick made the same exact mixture at the same percentages. Think fresh ground to pre-ground pepper. A little more strength to the complex and light-scented and flavored notes of all kinds.

That being said, I think for many, differentiating between the D&R and P&C as blending components would be splitting hairs.

Overall I've enjoyed my experimentation, which will continue. I've purchased six 6-ounce tubs of the D&R which have each been sealed in 7-mil Mylar to be used for future projects.

Depending on how the many Pounds of my aging Red Virginias end up, I'll pick a favorite to make a VaPer or VaPerOr eventually.

I must give credit where credit is due, for a Perique available in bulk (as little as one ounce) for a low price, P&C blending perique is quality stuff.

If anyone can source some Peter Stokkebye 311 Perique, please let me know.

Thanks for reading.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I just received some Perique from Whole Leaf. The aroma of the leaves were very... barnyard ish.
I did not smoke any yet, I just sliced it and stuck it in ball jars to age. It was quite moist and the leaves varied in color from black to a lighter brown, very interesting.

:)

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I made a Perique thread previously in the blending section, for those of you that gave advice and information - thank you for participating.

Great post.

By the way, in your previous thread I badmouthed the St James Perique I got from Whole Leaf Tobacco which I thought was very poor quality. I have an update: they recently sent me a new bag of perique from a new barrel as well as an apology for the poor quality of the previous batch--which was a pretty amazing thing to do given I hadn't even asked--they just sent it. Sure enough, this new batch is head and shoulders above their previous offering. That was a very classy move I thought, but best of all the whole leaf St. James Perique is definitely good stuff. Obviously you have to process the leaf and shred it manually, which is a bit of work, but worth the effort if you want some nice top shelf blending perique. (Smokes well straight up too).

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
... a very classy move I thought, but best of all the whole leaf St. James Perique is definitely good stuff. Obviously you have to process the leaf and shred it manually, which is a bit of work, but worth the effort if you want some nice top shelf blending perique. (Smokes well straight up too).

That's great to hear! It seems enough have had a positive experience that I definitely ought to source some stuff to make my own whole-leaf blend.

That's interesting about the Sutliff perique. I've never encountered a perique with that description. You would have loved the blends that Russ came out with, the RO Perique series. Different periques sourced from the different farms. It was interesting and ranged from earthy and chocolatey to bright and fruity.

It's really a process that involves lots of variables that can change at different times in different stages of the process; growing, sourcing different burleys, the curing process, and then further sweating in big stacks, and then stripping, and pressing. Like a whisky, the corn, and then the mashing process has a huge effect on the outcome of the distilling. So many stages that can add a difference.

Then they all blend it before processing. Mark used to add a burley to his perique, which is the base for most of the VaPer blends out there. He and Greg Pease worked on the blend together.

I'd be very interested in who supplies Sutliff's perique. Do they press it in fish barrels?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I was going through my inventory this week and found a ton of McClelland Perique. I assume it is what was their blending Perique. Not sure what to even do with it. LOL suppose I'll try blending it with something sometime down the road.

I'd love to buy a couple tins off you if you're willing to part with any of it. I've been looking for some McClelland Perique for a loooong time.

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
That's interesting about the Sutliff perique. I've never encountered a perique with that description. You would have loved the blends that Russ came out with, the RO Perique series. Different periques sourced from the different farms. It was interesting and ranged from earthy and chocolatey to bright and fruity.

It's really a process that involves lots of variables that can change at different times in different stages of the process; growing, sourcing different burleys, the curing process, and then further sweating in big stacks, and then stripping, and pressing. Like a whisky, the corn, and then the mashing process has a huge effect on the outcome of the distilling. So many stages that can add a difference.

Then they all blend it before processing. Mark used to add a burley to his perique, which is the base for most of the VaPer blends out there. He and Greg Pease worked on the blend together.

I'd be very interested in who supplies Sutliff's perique. Do they press it in fish barrels?

Yeah I've been theorizing why the Sutliff tastes how is does, but the truth is I don't know. Its been a month in a press lock bag and the stuff is still very moist - but I'm fairy confident it is Not a mold or bacterial thing as it's remained very consistent and isn't necessarily "off" smelling. I could be wrong.

Re: The RO perique series (and the Golden Triangle blends). I'm bummed I missed them, but I was able to buy a bunch of the Acadian Gold during the P&C clearance sale. I heard the RO VaPer was something special.

I would have loved to try the Belmont, S. Vacherie, and Paulina periques separately. I'm a not so secret fan of everything D&R, for what they are.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Chances are all three periques you sampled were sourced from Mark. He supplies a lot of product and sells a wide variety of periques to the trade.

The RO Perique Series was very fine, each of the four blends created to showcase a Perique from a specific region. My personal favorite is GP-11, which I cellared heavily, at least heavily for me. I'm filling up a bowl to smoke in a little bit.

I always enjoy seeing Mark at a show, and sampling the various Periques he brings. I've bought a nice assortment from him which I use in my home blending projects.

Glad I put away some tubs of the 10 year aged Blender's Bench Perique. It's wonderfully fruity.

Last edited:

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Chances are all three periques you sampled were sourced from Mark. He supplies a lot of product and sells a wide variety of periques to the trade.

It seems the decade perique and some of the other limited stuff was highly lauded. I'd like to get his ear at a future show and see what he'd think about doing some of that stuff again.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It seems the decade perique and some of the other limited stuff was highly lauded. I'd like to get his ear at a future show and see what he'd think about doing some of that stuff again.
The Decade Perique was something of an accident, according to what Mark told me over dinner. Evidently a barrel kept getting overlooked for years.
Here's a link to a video showing the barrel being opened:

Chances are all three periques you sampled were sourced from Mark.
Maybe... but, as I scroll through Sutliff's tobacco offerings they have only ever had five tobaccos with perique and only two are still being offered. I wonder if they just rolled their perique barrel out by the dumpster to get it out of the way for all of the buckets of syrups, goops, and food flavorings that are constantly being unloaded. puffy

I know that when I asked Mark which company he supplied to make sure that I was getting his perique, he told me to always order from C&D, because he could guarantee that I would be getting his perique from them. He didn't say others "never" carried his, but... be that as it may...

I wonder what the effects of being aged in a tin for a while would have on pure perique. Maybe some differences in flavors are created from that.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I wonder what the effects of being aged in a tin for a while would have on pure perique. Maybe some differences in flavors are created from that.

I've read that perique is like burley and doesn't age in a tin. No sugar left. The flavor differences are supposed to be from the different regions the leaf comes from and how long it's left in the barrel. But if Mark Ryan says different then what do I know?

The flavor differences are supposed to be from the different regions the leaf comes from and how long it's left in the barrel. But if Mark Ryan says different
No, this is not from Mark. However... if you've ever cured tobacco, you'll know that any variation can have an effect on your outcome. Mark does source his leaf from many different places, he has said this. And, he never reinforced this idea of terroir. In fact, the only people I know of who use this concept of terroir are marketers and consumers. A room full of cigar guys will beat someone bloody about where the seed is planted, and the guy selling to them will reinforce this idea, but go talk to the farmers or the guys who process tobaccos... I've found that cigar guys usually don't know their asses from a hole in the ground. There's so much bullshit amongst these guys...