PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mariner-AZ

Lurker
Jan 30, 2023
When I found out that Azerbaijan is a real place and not just something Johnny Carson made up it was a magical moment. Welcome aboard. And I am going to ask you about what is pipe smoking like where you are. So what's it like? How likely is one to see a person smoking a pipe? What tobaccos can you get without the internet? Are you allowed to buy tobacco from the internet? Does pipe smoking provide the perfect cover for nefarious activities there as well as it works here? (what's that guy doing? Oh he's just smoking a pipe and not looking for the best route to steal our secret documents). Or any other tobacco related stuff too? Like anything you got there that the rest of the world doesn't? Local strains or styles?
I will try to answer your good questions: It is not very likely to see the pipe smoker here in Baku. I personally know 5-6 persons; certainly, there are more, but still, much, much fewer than cigar smokers. In our local shops (only a few selling pipe tobaccos), we can buy mostly "popular" stuff like Captain Black etc. Some MacBarren and Davidoff are also appearing, however. We can buy tobacco from the internet; I believe the official limit is quite high - 1000g. But if you will order 20 * 50g tins, you will definitely get questions from the customs service. Pipe smoker here attracts attention, for sure. But I would be seriously surprised if a stranger here asked me, "Aaah, such a wonderful poker. Is that Castello or Refbjerg?". I doubt that we have something distinctive from the rest of the world regarding pipe smoking. Food - is a different story; that is what we proud of ;)

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
In the past, I used to enjoy some aromatics from "My Own Blend", well, I still do this but not often.
My current passion is "Christmas Cheer" and "Frog Morten" (Cellar, Across The Pond, On The Town).
I keep a few tins for special days ;)
And of course - Capstan (original navy flake, blue tin) is good for every day!
Great choice of smokes. Unfortunately “My Own Blend” is no longer available here in the USA. For the last couple years I have been on a quest trying to source it but no luck.

Reactions: Mariner-AZ

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I will try to answer your good questions: It is not very likely to see the pipe smoker here in Baku. I personally know 5-6 persons; certainly, there are more, but still, much, much fewer than cigar smokers. In our local shops (only a few selling pipe tobaccos), we can buy mostly "popular" stuff like Captain Black etc. Some MacBarren and Davidoff are also appearing, however. We can buy tobacco from the internet; I believe the official limit is quite high - 1000g. But if you will order 20 * 50g tins, you will definitely get questions from the customs service. Pipe smoker here attracts attention, for sure. But I would be seriously surprised if a stranger here asked me, "Aaah, such a wonderful poker. Is that Castello or Refbjerg?". I doubt that we have something distinctive from the rest of the world regarding pipe smoking. Food - is a different story; that is what we proud of ;)
So a lot like many places on the pipe front. I don't see a lot of pipe smokers and certainly get noticed when smoking. Locally our selection is o.k. but not great. So what dish would you recommend to some random guy like me, if you wanted to show off your countries food?

Reactions: Mariner-AZ

Mariner-AZ

Lurker
Jan 30, 2023
So a lot like many places on the pipe front. I don't see a lot of pipe smokers and certainly get noticed when smoking. Locally our selection is o.k. but not great. So what dish would you recommend to some random guy like me, if you wanted to show off your countries food?
Come and visit us, a nice dinner is on me. Not a big choice for vegans, however ;)

Mariner-AZ

Lurker
Jan 30, 2023
Great choice of smokes. Unfortunately “My Own Blend” is no longer available here in the USA. For the last couple years I have been on a quest trying to source it but no luck.
I spent quite some time in Copenhagen and was a frequent guest at the Danish Pipe Shop. Met Mr Eltang and Grant Batson, as well as some other notable people from the pipes world. River, Brown and Dark Plug were my favourite ones. Still keep a bit of them for a mood smoke!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Welcome aboard @Mariner-AZ. Thanks for joining our forum. I bet you won't be bored.

Welcome! We have a mod from Baku, although he doesn't post much anymore

Mike, my recent job is killing me. I check the forums every other day or so, however can't post much unfortunately.

Guys, we met with @Mariner-AZ during a cigar gathering. We have a local cigar club in Baku, he is one of the members. It didn't take much time for us to find each other and start talking about pipes and pipe tobacco. We may even create our own pipe club one day, who knows.