Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Part of the Furniture Now
This hack is useful, and is courtesy of my buddy Mike.

I've noticed that with new pipes with acrylic or other composite mouthpieces, when purchased the mouthpieces usually come off easily. After a few smokes, they get sticky. All kinds of residue, etc etc etc. some of which will absorb and swell the stem itself.

Well, my buddy Mike is a scuba diver, and he says to use a touch of Divers' Grease (pure food grade silicone). Use just a touch, just a layer of a few molecules to aid the sliding, as in scuba apparatus. "More is less" is Mike's modus operandi.

Of course, I figure that most problems come from taking the mouthpiece off the stem when everything is not shrunk to the ambient room temperature, but I've found this hack useful.

The stuff is cheap, and a 1 oz tube will last you a lifetime. Also useful for a myriad of other things.

Last edited:

gord

The old pencil lead trick works great. A bit of graphite makes the joint feel finely machined.
I'll be trying this, too! Merci! I've been using your meer chip hack on four of my center draft hole churchwardens. Just one ragged chip covering the hole does the trick! Eliminates debris and doesn't affect the draw! For the gurgle, a few of them maintain order until the pipe is broken in fully. :)

For the graphite, do you use powdered or just a very soft, say, 4 or 5B, pencil? Have lots of those in my art kit.

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
When playing bagpipes, those bits were useful. I would bite the hell out of it so I don't loose the grip on the mouth piece.

With smoking pipes, I don't use my teeth to hold on to the stem. When using hand, obviously I don't need to engage the teeth.

When clenching, I park the button under the upper teeth, and support it with lower lips. No need to bite the stem.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

gord

Often changes in ambient humidity. Smoking them a few times usually tightens them up.
Absolutely . . . I'm concerned that they tighten up too much, and then could break when I try to separate the mouthpiece from the pipe. Happened to me before. Fortunately it was a cheap pipe. Found out that it can cost more to replace a fitted mouthpiece than simply replace the pipe itself. Shipping and spare parts can be dynamite. My friend Mike is a radioelectronics expert, and restores old radios, TVs, and other historic plug-ins, as well as current computerized exercise equipment in gyms and universities throughout the province. He has an ability to improvise and jury rig that I simply don't. :rolleyes: Never had it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Absolutely . . . I'm concerned that they tighten up too much, and then could break when I try to separate the mouthpiece from the pipe. Happened to me before. Fortunately it was a cheap pipe. Found out that it can cost more to replace a fitted mouthpiece than simply replace the pipe itself. Shipping and spare parts can be dynamite. My friend Mike is a radioelectronics expert, and restores old radios, TVs, and other historic plug-ins, as well as current computerized exercise equipment in gyms and universities throughout the province. He has an ability to improvise and jury rig that I simply don't. :rolleyes: Never had it.
Ah. In that case beeswax is your friend. Graphite is micro abrasive and will eventually wear down the material.

Reactions: edger and gord

bpinkstaff

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
This hack is useful, and is courtesy of my buddy Mike.

I've noticed that with new pipes with acrylic or other composite mouthpieces, when purchased the mouthpieces usually come off easily. After a few smokes, they get sticky. All kinds of residue, etc etc etc. some of which will absorb and swell the stem itself.

Well, my buddy Mike is a scuba diver, and he says to use a touch of Divers' Grease (pure food grade silicone). Use just a touch, just a layer of a few molecules to aid the sliding, as in scuba apparatus. "More is less" is Mike's modus operandi.

Of course, I figure that most problems come from taking the mouthpiece off the stem when everything is not shrunk to the ambient room temperature, but I've found this hack useful.

The stuff is cheap, and a 1 oz tube will last you a lifetime. Also useful for a myriad of other things.
Great idea i just happen to have some!

Reactions: gord

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I dont have art pencils so I just grab a normal, probably number 2 lead. Softer may work better. If they are not too tight just keeping them clean works.

gord

Neither can I figure out how to eliminate double postings on this forum. cray

Can you not delete it within the ten ? minute edit time?
I can, now that I know that's the problem. If I get distracted (phone call, dog whining) or simply too anal about correcting spelling and grammar mistakes, I have a couple of times exceeded the limit. Thanks.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and kcghost

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I've never noticed this with any of my new pipes. Sticky stems... kinda grosses me out. I'm glad that I have never encountered this. Reminds me of how the floors in a Waffle House will feel under my feet, sticky residue. Ick
When you used the sticky Waffle House floor analogy I about gagged. Ha.
I'd rather sleep in a dirty horse stall than to lay down on their floor.............. And I'm serious about that.

gord

Haven't set foot in a waffle house since I was a teenager. Think it was an iHop. Haven't seen any Waffle Houses in these parts, but as forewarned, I will wear waders...
Hmmmm . . . you guys are now talking about something totally unfamiliar to me. What is a Waffle House? I'm thinking it's a fast food nightnare. Nothing like that up in these parts but McVomits and others of this ilk. I'm thinking I should be grateful . . . . . . the stepping on the floor thing kinda intrigues me though. Lotsa bear poop around here right now. Yogis are fattening up for the winter. Even the dogs fear to tread.

Reactions: Choatecav

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Hmmmm . . . you guys are now talking about something totally unfamiliar to me. What is a Waffle House? I'm thinking it's a fast food nightnare. Nothing like that up in these parts but McVomits and others of this ilk. I'm thinking I should be grateful . . . . . . the stepping on the floor thing kinda intrigues me though. Lotsa bear poop around here right now. Yogis are fattening up for the winter. Even the dogs fear to tread.
Ha, thought these things were world wide.....

Think along the lines of the old diners of the fifties. Where there was not much room and you come in and sit at the counter or in one of a few booths. They specialize in Waffles and breakfast food, but also serve burgers, steaks, sandwiches, etc.

Anyway, they all have this film of grease, filth, goo, and things that I dare not publicly discuss, on the floor. No matter what kind of shoes or boots you wear, you slide and/or stick along the floor. Honestly, the waffles are good, but the "ambiance" is lacking.............

• Haha

gord

Ha, thought these things were world wide.....

Think along the lines of the old diners of the fifties. Where there was not much room and you come in and sit at the counter or in one of a few booths. They specialize in Waffles and breakfast food, but also serve burgers, steaks, sandwiches, etc.

Anyway, they all have this film of grease, filth, goo, and things that I dare not publicly discuss, on the floor. No matter what kind of shoes or boots you wear, you slide and/or stick along the floor. Honestly, the waffles are good, but the "ambiance" is lacking.............
I was a kid in the fifties, and when we went on trips, I sat in the back seat of the car with my nose in a book. Never even looked out the window. Mom always got after me for not looking at the scenery. And when we ate, we stopped off at a side road, Dad pulled out a chintzy fold up table with equally rickety chairs, and Mom pulled out a picnic basket (she was a great cook who often wrote food columns for the Vancouver Sun), and proceeded to give me static for reading at the table.

But I have seen that kind of place in the movies usually starring somebody like Kirk Douglas or some other rugged type actor, and we do have the occasional "greasy spoon" in small towns up north that would be the kind of place you're reminiscing about. Never been in one - just general stores Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
Reactions: Choatecav