PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
This is my first attempt at a review; so hopefully it won't be too terrible.

The Country Squire Tobbacconist "Middle Earth" blends intrigued me because i was reading The Hobbit and LOTR. Below are the 3 blends I've tried so far.

Bag End
On the company site, it says this is a Traditional Scottish blend. The most notable trait of this blend is that it is well balanced for me. The Latakia is present through out the bowl. It isn't the loudest component, but the easiest to distinguish. The burley and Virginia have a lovely nutty, somewhat cocoa notes that come in out and a light sweetness that goes on through out the bowl. The Latakia is always there providing a tangy smokiness, but never overbearing; I enjoy it very much at what seems to be an equal amount with everything else. The Turkish comes across in a tangy sweetness. Overall it was a well balanced and highly enjoyable smoke, however i only had an ounce to sample. I now have 8 ounces on the way. Dryness from the bag was good, cool burn and few relights.

Kingsfoil
This one was difficult for me to finally get comfortable with. I love DFK, so I really thought I'd fall for this Virginia and Kentucky blend. First smoke was smooth and enjoyable, but i didn't really get the flavors I was expecting. After many more bowls, it kept falling flat on me in the flavor department around the middle of the bowl, or sooner. I kept trying some different packing methods and slowed myself down. That was the ticket finally; a codger scoop lightly packed on top with a pic ran through the middle. The bowl starts sweet, light smokiness, and a nutty flavor. When sipped and kept cool the smoke remains somewhat lightly smoky with sweetness in and out. I get a constant bread and earth flavor from it. If the heat gets up, the flavors dies out, so keep it at sips. I'll gladly finish what little is left from the 2 ounce bag, but doubt I'll get any more. Dryness from the bag was good, relights were dependent on the packing method i used. Once i found the good packing technique needed for me, relights were on the normal level.

Old Toby
I haven't been an Aromatic fan, but this blend has proven itself for me. Cased with sugar, a sweet maple/vanilla type flavor runs with the entire bowl. The Virginias provide some sweet hints on the retro-hale with the Burley giving a constant nuttiness. I did find some hints of dark fruits which I attributed to the Perique, but I could be mistaken. I'm generally Perique sensitive and if burned to hot, it's all that I taste, but that wasn't the case with Old Toby, so I believe the Perique is condiment levels to the Burley and Virginia. The tobacco burned cool through-out the bowl even pushing it a little to far a couple times. Seems to be a tad wet from the bag, but with no dry time, it smokes very well with few relights. When smoking this, I feel as if this is the "My Grandfathers Tobacco" scent that people always remanence about. An enjoyable smoke to sit and think.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Nice reviews. The Country Squire offerings are nice. Bag End and Kingsfoil were my two favorites. The Rivendell was too sweet for my liking but none of the Middle Earth series was bad at all.

Reactions: ofafeather

evo03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2013
Thanks for the review. Their Northwest Trek is great if you want a mildly aromatic English.

Reactions: RainKing

RainKing

Might Stick Around
May 24, 2020
Most of that series is pretty solid in their own way. I personally enjoyed Rivendell, Bag End and Green Dragon the most.

Reactions: acaldecott
Status
Not open for further replies.