PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I decided I wanted to have fishnbanjo's Sorringowl Pipe Pouch and won it on that damned auction site.

Dan, the seller, again shipped quickly and securely. He's really doing a nice job with Sante's stuff. It comes with Sante's monogrammed initials.

1584403051599.png

It's lovely leather work and hardly broken in.

1584403132568.png

It came with quite a surprise. The pouch is filled with a half ounce or so of Sante's tobacco!

1584403212290.png

It's a bit crispy but not a loss, in my opinion. It's already in a jar with a moistened paper towel. It's dark, reminding me of 1792 in appearance.

1584403299136.png

I'll need to review his last posts to help me determine what tobacco he was working on near the end. Then, on July 5th, I will be Keeping It Smokey in the highest order! puffy

1584403044116.png

Enjoy your memento. I saw the work you did to document his pipes!

I decided I wanted to have fishnbanjo's Sorringowl Pipe Pouch and won it on that damned auction site.

Dan, the seller, again shipped quickly and securely. He's really doing a nice job with Sante's stuff. It comes with Sante's monogrammed initials.

View attachment 22819

It's lovely leather work and hardly broken in.

View attachment 22820

It came with quite a surprise. The pouch is filled with an ounce or so of Sante's tobacco!

View attachment 22821

It's a bit crispy but not a loss, in my opinion. It's already in a jar with a moistened paper towel. It's dark, reminding me of 1792 in appearance.

View attachment 22822

I'll need to review his last posts to help me determine what tobacco he was working on near the end. Then, on July 5th, I will be Keeping It Smokey in the highest order! puffy

View attachment 22818

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jay', what a fine memento of Sir Sante. My one and only Meer was sent to me by fish' while he was still with us, an estate that came with a homemade case, nice. I'm glad his superb collection is finding homes with real pipe people near and far.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
BTW maybe consider legally changing your name to match the initials on it

Actually, as a patch holding member of the Gypsy M/C, one of our common acronyms (similarly used by many bike clubs), SYLG or Support Your Local Gypsy (M/C).

I've been pondering just how to squeeze a "Y" in there without looking like crap.

More than likely, I'll leave it as is, or maybe add mine to the other corner. Who knows?

1584478555467.jpeg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Well, the tobacco was in the felt lined side, which I believe is for the pipe, instead on the vinyl lined side.

I removed all of it to a plate, then to a jar with a moist paper towel to re-hydrate a bit. I kept out enough to almost fill a cob, which I did smoke.

It tasted like......leather! rotf

The strong smell and taste of the quality full grain hide had permeated the tobacco pretty good. I still smoked it down, trying in vain to identify it.

I need to do more research on what Sante was smoking near the end of his days. Another forum member also advised me of some tobacco they had sent to him around that time.

I'm hoping some time in the jar will allow the tobacco to "re-normalize" a bit. My intent is to load some up on Fishnbanjo Day in 3 1/2 months. At that time, I will share more thoughts.

1585017768125.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and Casual