PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
Well, I hope I don't regret this but I did find this forum in part for some input on my pipemaking efforts. I am still in my first year. It's kind of an addicting way to relax and create something useful.
This first one is my most recent, an apple shape with bamboo stem that is over 7 inches long but very light. The biggest thing I learned here is to make sure the bamboo knuckles are evenly spaced prior to using it. Oh, well. I did manage a more distinct transition between shank and bowl, which in the past has been a bit stubby.
pic1-4.jpg

Before that, a few weeks ago I finished this much shorter volcano shape. Here, I was experimenting with a faux ivory ring to offset the black stem.
volcanosmall.jpg

All the best,
Tim

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Tim,
That's mighty fine work, especially for a pipesmith in his first year. I don't normally care much for bamboo stems, but I'd be happy to put that one on display.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Tim:
On that bamboo you're supposed to say you used the longer knuckle space to the rear to create movement and balance. :>)

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the encouragement and hope to post new efforts as they are available. I recently put up a website to sell a few and keep myself in briar and explain to the wife my ongoing tool purchases. :) I promise not to shill here but it is www.handcraftedpipes.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.