A Couple of Meerschaums I Picked Up in The Last Week or So!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I thought I would post these pipes for you guys to look at on a wet Saturday evening. They represent some very nice meerschaums with two of them needing some work so they are getting packed off to the pipe hospital on Monday morning. The one below is not my typical style and some idiot has eaten through the amber stem but the bone screws are sound as is the case so I will get a new mouthpiece made and then probably sell the pipe on to someone who likes this particular style. The coloring and patina are from years of smoking Victorian twist or plug and I am sure it will smoke well once it has been de-junked and cleaned up.
_5710_zpsd70f7db2.jpg

This beautiful colored 'cutty" has been well looked after and is a splendid example of the French pipe carvers art. The pipe dates from the early 1890s and again the case is in perfect condition.
_572_zps5a28d863.jpg

However if you look at the next picture below you can see that some idiot broke the stem and it has been very subject to a very clumsy repair at some time. Since the stem has broken dead in the middle this pipe stem is a candidate for a silver band that will result in the saving of the original amber stem with a little luck.
_573_zps2ff03d0d.jpg

Here is an over view of the pipe in its case.
_57_zps5bbdcf9a.jpg

Then finally we have this little beauty I picked up that needs nothing done to it other than the silver band polished and all the cr*p cleaned out of the bowl and then smoked!
_577_zps403ad166.jpg

Here is a close up of the hall marked silver band.
_12_zps5052ef15.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I think I recognize the second and third pipes. Nice! I like the last in particuar. I don't even bother bidding on cutty meerschaums knowing that you are lurking about! :D

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The first one was a bargain and I just could not turn down a $20 meerschaum which included shipping. I figured that I would have a new stem made and have the pipe cleaned up and either gift it out or use it as a trade item. The other two are beautiful and great additions to my rotation once overhauled. :)

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Nice pickups, if you can repair cheap they are very cool buys. Looks like you have some vintage there.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Condor, I love that #2 pipe. They are all nice! I think that pipe is gorgeous. I'll bet he said some choice things when he broke it. Then again, I had a cousin who spent his life destroying beautiful things. Go figure :roll:
I have two composite bowls on small Calabash pipes. I have cleaned the gourds but was afraid to do anything with the bowls. My other meers were picked up new, so I do not have any experience at cleaning an old meer.

I have read the other posts about cleaning meers. Condor, how do you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.