PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karibo

Lurker
Jun 4, 2020
London, UK
> How did you get started on pipe smoking? What keeps you smoking?
I've been fascinated by smoking as long as I can remember, and knew I wanted to smoke when I was about 5 years old. Despite nobody in my whole family smoking apart from my grandmother who had a single cigarette every evening. Of course it was not possible yet, and I waited to have my first cigarette at 12, and didn't make it into a habit at around 14-15. I've always been curious about pipe smoking and at 44 decided to take the plunge (I will be 50 soon) and buy my first pipe. It took a few months until I found 'proper' tobacco.

Although I would love to pipe full time, I absolutely adore cigarettes too and am not able to do without them, so pipe smoking is mostly a side-occupation for me. I do try to stick mainly to the pipe some weeks, but eventually give up. Also, I am too shy to smoke my pipe in public which makes it hard to stick with it.

>How do you feel pipe smoking differs from other smoking, or other substances in general, like alcohol?
It certainly has less of an immediate 'hit'

> How do you feel about the negative perspective of smoking?
I get that non-smokers don't love the smell, but I am old enough to remember when you could smoke more or less everywhere and sorely miss those days. And while I generally don't really have a problem smoking cigarettes around non-smokers, I don't smoke a pipe in public as mentioned. Perhaps doing so will be my 50th birthday present to myself?

> ? Do you have a favorite pipe, or kind of pipe? What is it?
I have about 15 pipes, all straight billiards. I have a fondness for Savinelli 111KS in various finishes (which incidentally was my first pipe, and the only time I bought one in an actual shop)

> What's your favorite tobacco, and why?
Peterson Royal Yacht, which is strong enough to satisfy me.
Dunhill Standard Mixture, when I want something a bit milder

> How do you interact with other pipe smokers? How often?
Never, apart from here :(
Although at my office Christmas party a few years ago (in a hotel) I met a pipe smoker when I popped out for a cigarette. We had a nice chat :)

> How do you picture the future of pipe smoking?
I hope it will become the next big thing :) Unfortunately I think the chances of that happening are slim.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72