PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I’ve come across a really good deal on a Bekler CAO. I love Meers and I’ve never had a Bekler within reach though I’ve admired them from a distance. Should I get It? I have a hunch the seller either doesn’t know or doesn’t care what kind of masterpiece he has for sale and that makes it all the more appealing! I hate a valuable and rare Beaty just sitting there. But… The shape is not particularly attractive to me. What would you do?

Reactions: kcghost

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve come across a really good deal on a Bekler CAO. I love Meers and I’ve never had a Bekler within reach though I’ve admired them from a distance. Should I get It? I have a hunch the seller either doesn’t know or doesn’t care what kind of masterpiece he has for sale and that makes it all the more appealing! I hate a valuable and rare Beaty just sitting there. But… The shape is not particularly attractive to me. What would you do?
My mother gave me a CAO Beckler meerschaum new in 1988 for my 30th birthday.

In the day Beckler was something of a celebrity carver for CAO and actually visited the USA promoting the brand.

So a CAO Beckler is not just a meerschaum pipe carved by a master, it’s an expensive flagship model.

Beckler got his pick of the best meerschaum. Thirty five years ago a Beckler cost over $200 and closer to $300, prices that would be hard to get today.

Reactions: DotAndBang’sPipes

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I would buy it, I couldnt pass up a deal like that. Someone down the road might want it or you can always offer it for tobacco / a pipe you like. 5 years from now it might be your favorite pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never buy pipes that don't appeal to me or they don't fit my strict criteria size wise. I also won't ever buy another Meer as their stems suck and they burn hot compared to my broken in briars that have a nice cake on them.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Appreciate the feedback. Since I’m not in the business of selling pipes, I tend to only buy pipes that hold smoking value for me. But I love Meers and have been an admirer of- and on the lookout for- a Bekler for a while. I think that’s why this one caught my eye…

The more I ponder this decision the more I’m reminded of past dating situations where everything about the person was “almost” a fit for me, or “I SHOULD be into this lady…” but I wasn’t, and so I didn’t.