Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Its clear that some folks are opposed to filters and thats cool. This thread isnt an argument. It is a comparison for those who use them. Im not attempting to sell anyone the idea of filters.

Ive been meaning to do this for a while. I typically use activated charcol filters 9mm. I had some meer filters around that I had not tried. For me charcol filters take out some of the darker ruddy notes (which I know some enjoy) but for me mute the sweetness. Also, I find charcol filters tend to polish the component flavors and allow them to shine through. Its the seperation of component flavors I really enjoy. Blenders that pull this off tend to also be my favorites.

This morning I loaded some Makahuwa plus a bit of latakia (a blend I often smoke in the morning) and put in a meer filter. I was immediately taken back by the aftertaste. One member called it kind of chalky but bias of knowing meer is white and chalky may create this bias but maybe its as good of a descriptor as any. Its just weird. I thoght maybe it was me so I tossed in a charcol filter. Right off the bat I got more sweetness from the tobacco and a nice finish.

In the interest of science back in went the meer filter. Taste muted, nice finish replaced by an odd feel...maybe the lack of a finish. Actually a lack of flavor overall.

Just to explore more variables out went the filter and I smoked it straight (no filter).

So back and forth I went and the same effect. For me it pretty much stripped the flavor down and made for an experience I didnt enjoy. I didnt pay that close attention to moisture level but the meer was probably a little more dry...maybe even too dry. I cant imagine needing to remove more moisture than a activated charcol filter will accomplish unless you are smoking really goopy blends.

So for today, Activated Charcol won in every department. I will try another pipe and another blend but for now I wont be buying meer filters.

BrightDarkEyes

Can't Leave
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Thank you for posting this observation. I haven’t tried them and never felt like I need to after using the activated charcoal filters. I imagine the meerschaum 9mm filters give off a taste similar to smoking a brand new meerschaum pipe before the bowl turns black. It’s not a flavour I found off putting but I always looked forward to the bowl turning black and whatever chalky kind of taste that was going away.

Reactions: grimpeur

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Some of the estates I bought had a filter thrown in so have a few meer filters. Before I got another shipment I wanted to see if I liked them.

Aside from the weird flavor which may go away over a pipe or two I was a bit suprised at how it made the smoke just taste like smoke. I didnt really taste the latakia much, the chocolate background of Makhuwa was gone...honestly, it just tasted like smoke...nothing special and its a blend I really like.

I use the vauen AC filters. Im going to try the White Elephant brand that are supposed to have a little less AC in them. Ive a couple of pipes where the draw is just a little restricted with a vauen. These are supposed to be more free...time will tell.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
First of all, I’ve never tried a filter so take this for what it’s worth…
Knowing that new meerschaum pipes can taste a little “off”, “flat”, or “chalky” for the first few smokes I would posit that that would be the case with meer filters.
100% supposition of course, since I’ve not used chips, disks, filters, or any such items so far.
If I were to filter, I think I’d go with AC.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Well, take two is about the same. A little smoking gets rid of the off taste but on my vaper its eating up more of the perique and sweetness than I would tollerate.

Meer chips dont seem to have this impact...I guess there are fewer and more space in between. I will be sticking with the AC versions.

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
You could always try balsa wood. They make them for 9mm and 6mm. They are always in my savinellis and work great. I can usually get around 10 smokes per filter before changing is needed

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I almost wonder if the meerschaum filters need to be broken in before full effect. Like the pipes and the chalky taste in the beginning.

I hate breaking in new meerschaums.