PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
The first cutty I made crashed and burned so I made another. Just a few pics here. Delrin tenon. The stem/shank interface is much better and stronger. I used a larger stem then what was on the first one and I put just a caress of a bend in it. I think it looks better.

TyMoDjw.jpg

iklWPTF.jpg

teSAbhz.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Very nice grain, finish and shaping. I don't know as a bent stem makes a pipe look better, but it certainly adds complexity.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Wow! You keep pumping those out and I will definitely be interested in one. Say around February when I have recovered from Christmas spending. lol

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
chief, delrin is what the tenon is made out of.

Have a look here:

http://vermontfreehand.com/product/delrin/

You can also browse through their selection of acrylic, ebonite etc. that is used for stems.

Hope this helps.

Chris

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Very nice. If you have any pictures of making the tenon, please post them. I want to order some round delrin stock, but would like to know more about turning it. I have machined delrin blocks before, and it is difficult to hold to cut.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Ken, you don't have to turn the delrin. You buy it the size you want, I generally use 5/16" delrin rod to make the tenon. I cut the stock delrin to the length I want to use and hold it in a Nova scrolling chuck with a set of pen turning jaws. I face it with an appropriate end mill, generally a 3/8" works fine. I don't use a Forstner bit, IMHO they are too wobbly. Then I use a starter bit to drill into the delrin. I then drill through the delrin I have chucked with my 5/32" airhole bit. I then face it again.

I then flip the piece of delrin around in the pen jaws and pass my airhole bit through from that end.

Then I face it with the end mill and my tenon is done. I rough up the end I will insert and glue into the mortise hole (I also rough that up) I drilled in my rod stock or pre-formed vulcanite stem with 5 minute epoxy.

I forgot to mention that when I use pre-formed vulcanite stems I always cut the cast tenon off. I don't turn it because I don't have a metal lathe for that kind of fine work. My hands are too shaky.

I also face the rod stock or pre-cast vulcanite with both an end mill and my scraper. I then check it and if necessary use a bit of sand paper on the faced end.

Make sense?

I can take some pictures for clarity if you like.

Anyway, that's the way I do it for now.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Yes, that makes sense. Thank you for the detailed explanation. I never thought of buying the rod in the diameter to use as-is.

Instructions saved for reference. I have some stems to fix.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thought I would post the specs
Cutty with spur

Length: 6.0”

Height: 1.75"

Chamber diameter: 0.75”

O.D.: 1.0”

Bowl depth: 1.30"

Pass a pipe cleaner: Yes

Delrin Tenon