Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Okay, folks, it's time to get your raffle ticket for the 2015 KC Pipe Carving Contest. This year's shape is the Cavalier which promises to generate some fabulous pipes. Here's photo of the 2014 winning set featuring billards:
600-Set3_zpscb93a2b6.jpg
[/url][/img]
And here is photo of the 2013 winners which featured dublin style pipes:

To purchase raffle tickets you can go to the following link:
2015 KC Pipe Carving Contest
Be patient with the registration process as it has to get very good contact info so that we can be sure we will be able to get a hold of you if you win (That's right you don't have to be present to win).
If you don't want to mess with all that just use PayPal and send the money to admin@gkcpipeclub.com with a note giving me your name and phone number.
Remember the winner gets all seven winning pipes plus the case.

Dec 24, 2012
I am torn. I have entered the last couple years, but really hate the cavalier shape. Any chance someone can show me a pic of an awesome cavalier and persuade me that there are some good ones out there?

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I used to think the same thing, Peck, until I realized the potential of the shape once Tokutomi created this one:
Tokutomi-Cavalier-3-389x1024.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1858&bih=963&q=%22cavalier+pipe%22&oq=%22cavalier+pipe%22&gs_l=img.3..0i30j0i8i30l2j0i24l4.5740.27512.0.29577.40.24.10.6.2.0.78.1346.24.24.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.64.img..8.32.1257.2EBSL-7zDFI

nismo270r

Lurker
Jun 11, 2012
Northern KY
The Tokutomi Wayne posted is amazing!
Here's a Michael Parks:

Michael-Parks-Cavalier-Blowfish.jpg

I know this pipe from Grant Batson is a Ramses, but I could see this being adapted to a cavalier:

002-568-0001.jpg

A more traditional shape, but I think this one is awesome. Maybe I'm a bit partial :D:

Cavalier-001.jpg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You are just about out of time to get your tickets for this raffle. We will only sell a maximum of 300 tickets.
The revenue from this raffle is the only source of prize money for the carvers. The Club receives no money from this raffle. It all goes to the winning carvers.
The winning ticket holder gets the 7 winning pipes and a Neil Yarm pipe stand.
The Carvers need your support for this outstanding program.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm the longest serving judge for the contest (all except the first of its six years), so have watched it develop with keen interest.
It has gone from Hopeful Experiment to Crown Jewel Event in that time. Pretty much every North American pipemaker is now aware of it, and their pride (naturally) wants to have a win on their resume. Not to mention the prize money and enormous exposure that their work receives from being featured as part of a 12-page color spread in the English-speaking PipeWorld's only glossy magazine.
Today, many carvers create a pipe specifically for the contest, when before they tended to enter something they already had in their inventory when the contest came around. Also, significant social network efforts are now being employed by the GKCPC to enhance the pool of money that's divided among the winners. (Thank you, Scottie Piersel.)
The net result? Whoever wins THIS year's seven day set will be both delighted and absolutely astonished. The only place pipes of equal quality can be found are on the handful of premium collector sites in the USA and Europe. And the chance to OWN such a set??? For $25??? It's a no-brainer of the highest order.
I personally guarantee that if you don't buy a ticket---or several---you will kick yourself later. The odds of winning are high for such an event. The number of tickets available has a hard upper limit of 400, and many people buy them by the handful. You do the math. :D

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Hello, all ---
Thought I'd give this thread a bump since the time remaining to buy raffle tickets is down to ten days.
Speaking as one of the contest judges, here --- the quality of both the design and workmanship of this year's entries is jaw-dropping. You might THINK that North American carvers are still playing catch-up with Northern Europe and Japan, but you'd be wrong. These guys aren't just serious-minded students any longer, they are executing their ideas with technical precision and are determined to take their place alongside the planet's best.
My recommendation? Buy their pipes while you can still afford to as a general thing, and do not miss this chance to own an entire 7-day set of their contest-winning work for the price of a carton of pipe cleaners or a couple 2 oz. tins of tobacco.
Word.
George

Status
Not open for further replies.