PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
One of the problems we have every year is funding the carving contest. We have used a raffle to pay the winning seven carvers and to award the 7-Day Set to the winning ticket holder. ALL the money raised in the raffle is divided equally between the seven carvers. Selling $25 raffle tickets is a chore that doesn't get any easier with time. Selling the tickets for less makes even less sense since the winner doesn't have to be present to win. Very careful records have to be kept.
Scottie Piersel (Lady Briar) has come up with a wonderful idea. She is calling it the "Carvers Helping Carvers" initiative. She and seven other carvers have collaborated to make four pipes that they are going to raffle off at $5 a ticket or 5 tickets for $20. ALL the proceeds will be split between the winning carvers. The collaborations will be by David Huber and Mark Price, Wayne Teipen and Scottie Piersel, Abe Herbaugh and Steve Norse, and Chris Morgan and Leif Backus. That's a really good line up of carvers. Tickets can be purchased at Carver's Helping Carvers Raffle
This raffle will be held on April 16, 2015 at the regular meeting of the KC Pipe Club.
Below is an abridged version of Scottie's announcement:
Welcome to ladybriar.com, home of Piersel Pipes

PLEASE VISIT OUR ONLINE STORE TO PURCHASE CARVERS HELPING CARVERS RAFFLE TICKETS.

Announcing the 1st Annual Carvers Helping Carvers Raffle and Sale
Raffle Features Collaboration pipes by:
David Huber/Mark Price

Wayne Teipen/Scottie Piersel

Chris Morgan/Leif Backus

Steve Norse/Abe Herbaugh
Raffle to be held April 16, 2015 at the GKC Pipe Club Meeting. Tickets are 1 for $5 or 5 for $20 and can be purchased at shop.ladybriar.com. Tickets can be purchased through April 15, 2015 at 11:15pm CST. All proceeds will go to support the GKCPC North American Carver's Contest and will be split between this year's winning carvers.
Special Thanks To:
Morgan Pipes

Leif Backus (Adventure Sworn Bushcraft)

Teipen Pipes

DSH Pipes (David Huber)

Mark Price Pipes

Vermont Freehand (Steve Norse)

Herbaugh Pipes

Piersel Pipes

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
No, you do not have to be there to win.
At the last instant David Huber has dropped out. Mark Price will be making his collaboration with Scottie Piersel.

scotties22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2012
Kansas City, MO
We are still holding the Carver's Contest and Raffle as planned. This raffle is a fundraiser to help increase the winnings for the 7 carvers selected. We have a really really hard time selling tickets for the Carver's Raffle, even though there are only 400 and you have the chance to win that amazing 7 day set. I thought this would be a good way to help the cause, so to speak, and my fellow pipemakers are jumping on board.
You need not be present to win the Carver's Helping Carver's Raffle or the Carver's Contest Raffle (held at the GKCPC Show in June)
Scottie

scotties22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2012
Kansas City, MO
The shape for the Carver's Contest is the Cavalier. It should be an exciting contest with a broad range of pipes as the only shaping requirement is that it is a functional Cavalier.
For the CHC Raffle we have not limited the carvers to a shape. We should get four completely different pipes. I do know that Chris Morgan and Leif Backus of Adventure Sworn Bushcraft are making a pipe/knife combo that should be amazing.

scotties22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2012
Kansas City, MO
It has been brought to my attention that I forgot to mention something pretty important. Although there is only 1 raffle there will be 4 winners drawn...one for each pipe. I hope this helps

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Once again the line up has changed. Abe Herbaugh and Steve Norse have dropped out and will be replaced by Clark Layton and Jesse Jones.

scotties22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Just because I'm a woman...and we love to change things on you guys.... Steve Norse will be making a pipe by himself for the raffle. So we will now have 5 pipes total!! :D

scotties22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Things are rolling right along. I have the first finished collaboration pipe onhand and it's a beaut!!
This pipe/knife combo was made by Chris Morgan and the folks at Adventure Sworn Bushcraft.
img_9010.jpg

I will post the other pipes as they come in.
Scottie

Status
Not open for further replies.