19th Century Meerschaum That Cost Me $16!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
3 Fresh Mike Sebastian Bay Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
18 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Picked this chap up during the week. It seems quite sound and smoke able and has a wooden connector instead of the bone. The case is a total road smash and is getting junked once I have stripped the hinges and fittings of it. If someone would repair these cases on a timely basis they could make a fortune out of people like myself. Its a huge hole in the market and a massive opportunity as even in the early 1990's I was paying the equivalent of $275 for case repair work and recovering of the outside, new hinges etc. Anyway here is a picture for you lot to enjoy as I have to go to Best Buy and grab a new Mac as no one seems to know the net work administrator password and such my Mac Pro has just become a lump of scrap that will be joining the pipe case in the garbage!
1Nov2014_01_zps87454786.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, outstanding color. Some Meerschaum just look kind of soiled, but this one glows.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@danindayton. The pipe is probably somewhere between the 1890's to the early 1900's as this style had all but disappeared by the outbreak of the First World War. There is no makers name in the case so my assumption is it is French. The pipe has been repaired by banding it sometime in its life, but instead of silver the repairer used pewter so there are no hallmarks. If you look through the various threads I have posted many pictures as this is the only style of pipe I smoke and buy. The stem is amber and instead of being threaded is uses a wooden plug which it would seem appears to be a modification/running repair carried out during its long life. I will clean it up and add it to my rotation otherwise it will be sent to the 'Pipe Hospital' aka Tim West the genius of the Mid-West for a full overhaul.

Status
Not open for further replies.