PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
My son and I cracked a tin of this for Christmas. It was a gift from a friend. Moisture perfect. Sugars coated the tobacco. My son broke in an unsmoked Heeschen he was gifted on graduating college in 2020; he's a botanist. I smoked in my lone Larry Roush. Dedicated to VA.

Reds nip me. Orange too. My son has better genes. No prob for him.

Nevertheless, it was marvelous for me. My son enjoyed a sweet uncased tobacco.

I enjoyed being lucky to have been gifted the tin, and to be able to enjoy with my boy. The mild bite for me subsided midway through the bowl. I had some Talisker with it.

Total win. The remaining tobacco is in a mason jar, to be enjoyed on many tomorrow's. We have a cellar with many tins of cheer. I'm glad to know that they have a future with my son. They are now safe from my sending to Steve Fallon.

With luck I'll enjoy remaining tins with him, even with the nipping. Including his birth year tins from '97.

Well done McClelland.

Merry Christmas.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Total win. The remaining tobacco is in a mason jar, to be enjoyed on many tomorrow's. We have a cellar with many tins of cheer. I'm glad to know that they have a future with my son. They are now safe from my sending to Steve Fallon.
Don't wait too long, I and others here have had cases where old tobacco became totally flat soon after opening.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
Don't wait too long, I and others here have had cases where old tobacco became totally flat soon after opening.
Actually in the name of science and to finally resolve this debate he should jar it and smoke a bowl once a month or so, and report the findings.

Edit: One bowl per week for the first month, and then once a month. Or something like that...?

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Afraid smoking it may be a bit more spread out over time. We work alot and have little down time for the pipes.

The mason jar has a good seal, and as has been pointed out..the tobacco won't suffer if it's a tad more dry. I'm carful about preserving and aging tins, and careful to vacuum seal mason jars for long term storage. I don't intend to let this 1995 tobacco go south, but I think if it comes to that, rehydrated tobacco is often quite fine. I've rehydrated tobacco before very successfully.

Anyhow, happy New year!

hammer

Lurker
Jan 25, 2011
Man I wish I had not smoked all my christmas cheer years ago. Is there anyone now producing a similar blend. I have some McCranie's Red Stag similar to 5100 but alas not the Cheer.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Actually in the name of science and to finally resolve this debate he should jar it and smoke a bowl once a month or so, and report the findings.

Edit: One bowl per week for the first month, and then once a month. Or something like that...?
And, we did. Not once month, but more infrequently. The tobacco was carefully sealed each time. And the result was...I wish I had more. It's really great and the enjoyment had not diminished.

It was a useful experiment. I have more old CC tins and have confidence I can enjoy them without opening and sprinting to finish.

And as was suggested by chasing embers, yes ..air time limits the bite. But to be honest this aged tobacco had little bite left in it.

Cheers everyone.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
And, we did. Not once month, but more infrequently. The tobacco was carefully sealed each time. And the result was...I wish I had more. It's really great and the enjoyment had not diminished.

It was a useful experiment. I have more old CC tins and have confidence I can enjoy them without opening and sprinting to finish.

And as was suggested by chasing embers, yes ..air time limits the bite. But to be honest this aged tobacco had little bite left in it.

Cheers everyone.
Thats been my experience as well, if the aged tobacco is good when you opened it, store it properly and it should hold.

Reactions: boston

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee

Cheers everyone.
I purchased a tin of 2000 Christmas Cheer a few years back. I smoked some during that holiday season and then jarred it up. I have been opening it up every year around Christmas and smoking a few bowls. To my taste, it is still delicious and enjoyable. It is a treat and an old friend that I look forward to each Christmas.