PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Is this the best or just the first? I keep missing it on pipe stud, and am not sure I’ll ever see it again. I have 1994 and a few others, but my fomo really kills me when I feel like I was a second away.

Jun 23, 2019
Haven't had anything older than a 2002 CC but I can't say I taste any difference between a 2002 and 2016 Christmas Cheer beyond the age.

If you're the kind of guy to complain that a vineyard's 2018 Chianti is 'completely different' from their 2017 Chianti of the same name then maybe it's worth your time chasing down a 1992 tin...

Reactions: BriarsAndBottles

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
I’m a wine guy, so that analogy holds well for me. I can taste the difference in varietals (leaf), and even regions (manufacturer), but I don’t notice the difference between vintages unless something really is a stand out, and more often than not though it’s because I was in a good mood that day and associated it with that particular wine. Thanks Lukas

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
You're talking about 20 year old tobacco. Any differences would be extremely subtle. Other than the novelty of it, I doubt it is worth the chase. For me, the best I've had is the 2017 40th Anniversary.
Appreciate the response Hoosier. Luckily I got two tins of those hanging out. Haven’t tried it yet, waiting till it’s got some years on it.

Jun 23, 2019
I’m a wine guy, so that analogy holds well for me. I can taste the difference in varietals (leaf), and even regions (manufacturer), but I don’t notice the difference between vintages unless something really is a stand out, and more often than not though it’s because I was in a good mood that day and associated it with that particular wine. Thanks Lukas

A sommelier friend once told me: "a cheap wine with good friends will always taste better than a good wine with cheap friends"

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
So for fun I collect the Xmas Cheer series ,and smoke some old tobaccos, I just recently bought a second tin from 1992 on Tinbids for 400 buy it now , I had another tin that I bought for 200 a few years back. I smoked the first tin because it had worse labels and tin wear, bad for future sale ability … it was good, not dried out , I still had to let the flakes dry for a day…. Can I tell the differences between the 1992 , 1997, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2010, 2016, etc. yes they do taste differently to me, yet similar same quality . As for best anything , it’s all subjective, but I say go for it , buy one, what’s a few hundred these days

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
So for fun I collect the Xmas Cheer series ,and smoke some old tobaccos, I just recently bought a second tin from 1992 on Tinbids for 400 buy it now , I had another tin that I bought for 200 a few years back. I smoked the first tin because it had worse labels and tin wear, bad for future sale ability … it was good, not dried out , I still had to let the flakes dry for a day…. Can I tell the differences between the 1992 , 1997, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2010, 2016, etc. yes they do taste differently to me, yet similar same quality . As for best anything , it’s all subjective, but I say go for it , buy one, what’s a few hundred these days
Interesting perspective. Do you have a favorite? Have you had the 1994?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I’ve previously declared on the forums the 2003, I almost just bought some more from @shaintiques at 125 a tin might still be available …. I did do a Christmas Cheer marathon for a week when I popped the 1992. Did the 2000, and 2003 simultaneously and did 40 anniversary. So after that I don’t have a clue , I may have over did McClelland with 35 bowls

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
I’ve previously declared on the forums the 2003, I almost just bought some more from @shaintiques at 125 a tin might still be available …. I did do a Christmas Cheer marathon for a week when I popped the 1992. Did the 2000, and 2003 simultaneously and did 40 anniversary. So after that I don’t have a clue , I may have over did McClelland with 35 bowls
Have you tried Noel? Wondering if that’s in the same vein.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
I wouldn't worry about chasing it down unless you're a collector. There's all sorts of other years of CC that are easier to obtain and are probably just as good or better. There's also the risk that 30 year old tobacco is past its prime and won't be that good anyway. I also agree with Hoosier in that the 40th Anniversary is one of if not the best.

Jun 23, 2019
I wouldn't worry about chasing it down unless you're a collector. There's all sorts of other years of CC that are easier to obtain and are probably just as good or better. There's also the risk that 30 year old tobacco is past its prime and won't be that good anyway. I also agree with Hoosier in that the 40th Anniversary is one of if not the best.

With virginias it would seem this is not a concern, the only concern is that it is stored properly for that duration of time.

Reactions: alan73

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
This thread reminded me I have a nice sized tin of 2017 40th. Went and found it and ……… just couldn’t bring myself to open it! Someday.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A pity they skipped '93. Just seems like a hole in the line doing that. I picked up a tin in '92 to celebrate the one year anniversary of my first mortgage and liked it well enough to buy them each year after, excluding its '93 absence, but it seems like they put a little more effort into the simultaneous release of 2016/2017 possibly due to it being the end of the line. I ended up with 30 tins of 40th during its initial run just due to a feeling of things not feeling right with McClelland and thought that it may have been once meant to be a Christmas Cheer release.