PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Starting in the 1970s things changed at Dunhill in ways that made good specimens more difficult to find. The wood was definitely as good as ever, but the shaping was hit-and-miss, and the stem work would rarely have made it past QA in earlier decades.
The good news about most bad stem work is it's simply a matter of laziness. Stopping the creation process too soon. Meaning (usually) that a good stem is "still inside" one. Cut some more, re-finish, re-bend, and all is well. 8)
That was the case here. The nice wood and an exceptionally well-shaped stummel was enough to move me to buy a 70's Dunnie. 8O (It might be my only one. I have a few 80's and a couple 00's that have also received the same treatment, though.)
Anyway, if there's a more graceful full bent billiard within a hundred miles of where I'm sitting, I'd be surprised. :lol: I love the deep-honey color, too.
P1010761.jpg

P1010767.jpg

P1010771.jpg

P1010774.jpg

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
That's one of the nicest looking pipes you've shown George, and I'm not partial to full bents. The wood really sets it off.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Any chance you have a "before" picture of the stem?
Afraid not. The surgery was performed ten years ago. Just imagine it chunkier (mostly through the bite zone) with more of an "elbow bend" than a smooth arch.

Status
Not open for further replies.