1954 Prince Albert unopened ...ok to smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I think this is all my grandfather ever smoked! Those little cans where all over the place, full of nuts and bolts and a 1000 other things. They where his Altoids tins!
I picked up a pouch just last week, I still remember the smell of his self rolled cigarets, he would sometimes get his pipe out. Far as I know the only one he had.
Can you still buy it in the little tins?
On a side note I don't know that PA can get any more mellow than it already is! :)
Whoever gets it, enjoy it.

rootling

Lurker
May 30, 2011
A couple of years ago here in Point there was a woman doing house remodeling who found a large stash of Prince Albert in a wall, something like 70 some tins from 1918 full. She sold a bunch of it and I happen to be able to pick up a tin. Well I haven't smoked very much of it but from what I have sampled its rock steady burley at nearly a hundred year. Dry but I tend to smoke to the dryer side so it doesn't bother me. It still packs a good punch and tastes much like the PA of today - the pg. Hope you enjoy.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Times running out! TopD looks like the runaway. You might go ahead and PM me an address TopD.
In alphbetical order:

1 -agnosticpipe

1 -E. Roberts

2 -Jiminks

1 -romeowood

7 -TopD

chiefbroom

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
You're a lucky man TopD! Chief Joseph apparently endorsed Prince Albert as the National Joy Smoke.
H0096-L51363827_zps19c370ca.jpg

BTW, this tin sign sold at auction yesterday for $2,000.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
And the TopD wins! Hurray. PM sent ole boy
In alphbetical order:

1 -agnosticpipe

1 -E. Roberts

2 -Jiminks

1 -romeowood

8 -TopD

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Where is TopD? I havent received any word from him. chiefbroom requested a tin of the PA and Im sending it after his genrous donation. I kinda wanted us three to sample it together but I guess it doesnt really matter.
Calling TopD, Come in TopD. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's late in the discussion to notice, and it may not matter, but looking at the tins and the cardboard

box they're in, I don't see any sign of moisture, no wavy cardboard, no rust on the tins, etc. So it looks

like these have been in a fairly dry place, making it likely the tobacco is intact and can be revived. It

might be interesting to buy a new pouch of PA to be able to compare the two and try to guess if they

are/were basically the same, or if the leaf or processing of the tobacco has changed.

chiefbroom

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
Did TopD ever surface to claim his prize?
My can arrived today, along with a bag of mystery tobacco that I suspect may be contemporary Prince Albert, but that's a guess. Haven't broken the seal on the can yet. That would seem to require some ceremony.

chiefbroom

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
Opened the can and started hydration today. After breaking the seal and prying open the lid, I was a little concerned as there are signs of rust inside the can, and the scent was somewhat stale, which I guess shouldn't have been surprising. No evidence of bugs, though.
The can weighed 84 grams full and 46 grams with the tobacco emptied. I moved all of the tobacco into a Mason jar, which weighed 266 grams empty and 303 grams with the tobacco. So the tobacco weighs 37-38 grams.
I'm using a Water Pillow that weighed 24 grams immediately before I placed it in the jar. The jar with with tobacco and Water Pillow weighs 327 grams (no surprise there). I'm curious to see if I can measure a difference in weight of the tobacco before and after hydration.
I have the jar stored in a dark place. Any opinions on how long I should leave it sealed before checking on the tobacco?
54-Prince-Albert-sealed_zpsb14b21e0.jpg

54-Prince-Albert-opened_zps096fe711.jpg

54-Prince-Albert-opened-top_zpscb187273.jpg
54-Prince-Albert-contents_zpsa1d0e0bd.jpg
54-Prince-Albert-in-Mason-jar_zps27fdacf1.jpg

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Awesome chiefbroom! I did get TopD's address but havent sent it out yet. Its packed up and will drop it today. So cool to see the inside as I havent hydrated one myself yet. I did buy a puch of PA last week and smoking it to get a baseline sense of PA to compare with. Latakia blends are still my favorite so far and I often drop some Lat Flake in with a OTC bacci. CHall is my favorite OTC. A bit more chocolatey than PA.
Great pics!
PS: My old camera just broke. -Sony with floppy drive storage LOL. It served me well. Got a new one coming. Simple Fujifilm FinePix T500 16.0-Megapixel with 12x Optical zoom. $70.00 is all. Should do good close-ups.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Oh, that '54 PA tobacco looks a lot darker than the new pouch I have.

The "mystery tobacco" was "Poor Richards Famous Blends" - Plumcake.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Hey Guys, got my can.... I like it so much that I've decided to leave it as is and display it in my pipe cabinet next to my 1954 Dunhill ODA. Thanks For The Votes Friends, it means a Lot....!

Status
Not open for further replies.