PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Cool piece of tobacciana and family history. My great-grandfather’s permit for curing tobacco on his farm in Simsbury, CT.

I spent a lot of time on this property in the ‘70s and ‘80s and the curing barn was still standing at that time. The Hartford County Mutual Fire Insurance Company is still in operation today as The Hartford.

IMG_2642.jpeg

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Wow! The Hartford. If you go to their main office you see the coolest old fire apparatus. If you look at their older logo of the Stag or buck the antlers spell Stag. Another fun fact is the stag is also called a Hart. And those animals would cross the CT river in Hartford which was called fording. So Hartford became the name.

Reactions: trudger and AreBee

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Wow! The Hartford. If you go to their main office you see the coolest old fire apparatus. If you look at their older logo of the Stag or buck the antlers spell Stag. Another fun fact is the stag is also called a Hart. And those animals would cross the CT river in Hartford which was called fording. So Hartford became the name.
I’ve seen that fire gear! So amazing! That Hart’s Ford name is a common rumor but not true. Another misconception was that it was named after Stephen Hart who came to CT with Thomas Hooker. Hartford got its name from Hertford, England, the home town of one of Hooker's assistants, the Rev. Samuel Stone. I learned all this when researching the Hart family. (My great-great grandmother is Jane Susannah Hart.) The stag, also called Larry, is an English Hart Stag.

Reactions: trudger

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I’ve seen that fire gear! So amazing! That Hart’s Ford name is a common rumor but not true. Another misconception was that it was named after Stephen Hart who came to CT with Thomas Hooker. Hartford got its name from Hertford, England, the home town of one of Hooker's assistants, the Rev. Samuel Stone. I learned all this when researching the Hart family. (My great-great grandmother is Jane Susannah Hart.) The stag, also called Larry, is an English Hart Stag.
Interesting. I did not know it was a myth. My uncle worked there for 30 plus years. Some other fun facts I've heard over the years when they changed the logo back I guess 10 or 12 years ago they removed a certain piece of equipment on the stag. One of their CEOs who came from BofA died of a heart attack if I recall and they named the grounds of the old Mass Mutual building they bought after the CEO.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
When I was young my cousin grew tobacco in KY. It was very expensive and coveted to have the legal right to grow and sell tobacco. That is a cool document.

Reactions: AreBee

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Interesting. I did not know it was a myth. My uncle worked there for 30 plus years. Some other fun facts I've heard over the years when they changed the logo back I guess 10 or 12 years ago they removed a certain piece of equipment on the stag. One of their CEOs who came from BofA died of a heart attack if I recall and they named the grounds of the old Mass Mutual building they bought after the CEO.
You are correct about Larry’s apparatus. I used to work for a company used to print the Hartford’s prospectuses back in the late ‘90s and early ‘00s, and they were my client. One of their marketing big wigs tracked a stag until he got the picture that was eventually used for the prospectus cover drawing. Everyone quickly realized something was missing!

Reactions: proteus