PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
So I fixed myself a stiff drink and adorned a big pair of bollocks fit for the king and went to work on the bowl...

Ahi Kā 1 : Butt plug/super cake®/remains of condor plug 0

F3B6E996-24A9-4BAC-A953-2DC7C9F25B0A.jpeg
here are some of the remnants of the plug. It looks as though it was about 15mm thick/deep and made of meerschaum...now just waiting til I find a Petersonpipenotes article about the Uber rare patent era meer butt plugs that were rumoured to be custom made for each pipe...

6CBAF905-E10E-4F66-86BB-8466A7E9C6F6.jpeg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Perfect. You now have clean bowl without any 'Klingons' and the restriction was probably a heavy button made from some kind of ceramic material. The meerschaum plugs usually have four cross cuts in them since anything with small holes would jam up with crud too quickly. I have a couple of Victorian ceramic plugs that resemble half a children's marble with veins that allowed the pipe to breath. They show up quite often if you dig around in Victorian rubbish dumps or in the back of very old Public Houses and I have been told they were sold by tobacconists for One Penny and were designed to stop clay pipes getting clogged up. Just add a 'Philt Pad' to the bottom before smoking and you are off to the races. You can polish the scratches out of the rim with very fine wet and dry paper or 'T Cut' and use a sheet of glass and then a soft cloth or mop to remove the polish just leave it off the rest of the pipe. Very nice job.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Beautiful meer you've got! I can't recommend Ric at Briarville highly enough. If you do send it to him, make sure you send the case with it. He'll make the stem so that the pipe exactly fits the case.

Reactions: Ahi Ka