SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 11, 2023
What I'm wondering now is whether you can smoke an egg🤷🏿‍♂️? By, which, I mean can you pack a pipe bowl with tobacco -light it, and then place the egg on top of it and cook the egg?

What Kind of Pipe?

Now of course I imagine this would work best with a sitter for stability. The second problem is also air flow. There has to be enough room such that the egg wont snuff out the flame. I think a larger pipe would be helpful. While I'm sure you could use a briar, for some reason I imagine a meerschaum might be ideal for heat retention.

Placement?

Should the egg simply sit atop the mouth of the bowl, or should the bowl be wide enough that the egg could actually sit inside of it? Should one consider rotating it during the smoking process? How many bowls would it actually take to cook the egg inside the shell?

Details?

And then how much would you fill the pipe with tobacco? What kind of tobacco should you use? These can be influenced by bowl shape. Perhaps it might influence the temperature the egg is cooked at, and I reckon moisture might be helpful. Maybe a moiste aromatic blend is more ideal? Latakia and mesquite notes might also be flavorful.

1. Pack the Bowl
2. Light up.
3. Place the eggs, and smoke.
4. Then ice bath, an peel the eggs, then return them to the pipe, smoke them again. (I think at this point we should aim for a lower temperature)

Perhaps steps 3 and 4 should use two different tobaccos. One smoking hotter, and the other much cooler and more flavorful.

Last edited:

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
Sounds like somebody is curious about "How to avoid an exploding egg"...Hope you don't ruin your pipe in the process....lol

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And I was already to share my evaluation of smoking egg shaped briars.. Oh well. I do highly recommend them, a lot of chamber for the size and weight. I have a Genod I really like. Iwan Rees has egg shapes among its house pipes ... made by Genod.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
And I was already to share my evaluation of smoking egg shaped briars.. Oh well. I do highly recommend them, a lot of chamber for the size and weight. I have a Genod I really like. Iwan Rees has egg shapes among its house pipes ... made by Genod.
Best post of the thread so far! 🤪

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Nothing good can come from this.

Smoking an egg takes about 2 hours and smoked deviled eggs sound delicious.

But in a pipe? You have to be yolking. That's cracked up and will not go over easy. However, the idea put the fox in the henhouse, so let's see how this scrambled idea gets plated.

Since providing the resources below, I eggs-pect a Grade A report as to how your eggs-periment goes. This should be eggs-ellent, if you aren't chicken.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
You could try putting the egg inside a gourd calabash. I'm sure it won't cook, but at least you'll still be able to smoke the pipe.

Reactions: Dreadlock Holmes

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I hear you can poke a soda straw in the side of a raw egg, dip the egg in gasoline, put the straw in your mouth, draw deeply and light the gasoline. You should try it and let us know how you like it. puffy