Cigar Cutters - Do Any Of You Sharpen Them?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
I often wonder as too how many cigars smokers out there actually make the time to sharpen their cigar cutters. For many, many years I never even thought about being able to sharpen a cigar cutter, especially the guillotine style cutter, which is predominantly what I use. About 15/20 years ago I came across an article about it, and I've been doing it ever since. The article featured a pencil style sharpener which I purchased at the time. It works very well with very little effort. 6 or 7 light swipes a month does the trick.

As far as I can remember I do not recall ever seeing an article like that again!

Do you sharpen your cigar cutters?

Attachments

• MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 8
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 8
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 7
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Love
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Nope! I've got 2 Palio cutters from circa 2006 or so that cut as well as they did the day I bought them. I do clean every year or 2 with alcohol to remove the residue.

Reactions: Sig

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
Nope! I've got 2 Palio cutters from circa 2006 or so that cut as well as they did the day I bought them. I do clean every year or 2 with alcohol to remove the residue.
Hey friend, I thought that way for years as well but what it comes down to is only a very slight difference, it is there. The question is and it is very hard to tell, is the cutter actually cutting through or for lack of a better description, is it tearing through the cigar? A real close look at the cigar at the cut area should tell you. Is it actually cut or is there are slight folding of the leaves indicating that it was actually torn through. I wish I had kept that article, it explained it all so much better than I can remember.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Hey friend, I thought that way for years as well but what it comes down to is only a very slight difference, it is there. The question is and it is very hard to tell, is the cutter actually cutting through or for lack of a better description, is it tearing through the cigar? A real close look at the cigar at the cut area should tell you. Is it actually cut or is there are slight folding of the leaves indicating that it was actually torn through. I wish I had kept that article, it explained it all so much better than I can remember.

It cuts. These were the original Palio with the BOTL shield inset into the plastic. Once Quality Importers bought Palio, they turned to crapola.

The only time a cutter hangs up is if it's a very dense Cuban (usually from the early 00s) or maybe a Padron since Padron leaves all of the large leaf stems attached when they bunch the filler.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I often wonder as too how many cigars smokers out there actually make the time to sharpen their cigar cutters. For many, many years I never even thought about being able to sharpen a cigar cutter, especially the guillotine style cutter, which is predominantly what I use. About 15/20 years ago I came across an article about it, and I've been doing it ever since. The article featured a pencil style sharpener which I purchased at the time. It works very well with very little effort. 6 or 7 light swipes a month does the trick.

As far as I can remember I do not recall ever seeing an article like that again!

Do you sharpen your cigar cutters?
No, but you've piqued my interest. I'm not familiar with pencil style sharpeners. Where do you get them?

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
For many years now I just use my Buck Stockman pocket knife.
In years past I had several cheapo cutters that you get free from the cigar shop.
But, I WOULD sharpen them if I had them.
I love sharpening........anything.
Except chainsaws.......unfortunately they need sharpened the most often around here. :(

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I have taken mine apart and ran them on a strop. It seemed sharpen it up a bit but I’m not sure it was a measurable amount.

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
No, but you've piqued my interest. I'm not familiar with pencil style sharpeners. Where do you get them?
I wish I could tell you. At the time a link to the seller was in the article. The dam sharpener has no info on it, none, zero! Sorry - I suggest a Google Search, I am going to try one myself.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Except chainsaws.......unfortunately they need sharpened the most often around here.
Absolutely true! I touch up the cutters, on average, after ten to fifteen minutes of cutting or, whenever the saw fails to pull itself through the tree. Depth gauge check every evening with a full sharpening. I'm mostly cutting fir and spruce which really gum up the bar and chain.

A correct diameter chainsaw file should work wonderfully on those cigar cutter pictured above. Even the small Swiss Army steel would appear correct for the job.

Reactions: Bbailey324 and Sig

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
I had a buddy at the cigar lounge that used to sharpen cutters and knives for me, but years after we were out of contact i realized my Palio was missing. (I have several cutters/lighters, etc) Now i know he got a nice tip! ;)

My Xikar has been sharpened a couple times, but not in a long time and cuts just fine.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I generally cut my cigar with one of my knives so yes sharpened regularly. I do prefer a guillotine cutter for torpedo shapes. Mine are the give away variety and I lose them too regularly to ever dull one.