Pipe ID

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I am looking at this estate pipe for sale and can't even determine the spelling of the name (which I assume is some small custom crafter). Wondering if anyone has experience with this one. It's pretty nice from the limited photos supplied - I'll go look in person soon but wanted to gather any info I can. The closest my wife and I can come up with is "Pierre Loawie", but google doesn't know who that is.

Much thanks! I am new to the hobbie, after trying once 10+yrs ago and not being able to get a $10 pipe to light, to successfully enjoying that $10 pipe a little bit a year or so ago when I found it in a drawer, to now diving full in to hunting the local webs for estate gems and planning to dig into cleanup and enjoying some fine tobacco. I lived on a farm in Kentucky for 10yrs as a kid (we did grow some tobacco), and have some embedded roots that draw me to the pipe.

--Jeremy

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 8.56.32 PM.png

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
I am looking at this estate pipe for sale and can't even determine the spelling of the name (which I assume is some small custom crafter).
This is my personal opinion:

The name appears to have been haphazardly done with an electric vibrating engraver, either as a "property of" marking or a very poor attempt to fraudulently increase the perceived value of the pipe.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
don't see that at all. However would not surprise me if that was the name of a shop.
I am fairly certain about the electric vibrating engraver, though the resolution of the image is not ideal.
The motivation/intent behind it was pure speculation, based on nothing more than my own inability to think of any other reason for someone to do that.

I looked several places, including the main brand lists.. no clue, and. no other markings. I agree stamped. And either someones personalization (doubt that) or a small 'local-to-somewhere' maker. The seller I am certain has zero clue as they are selling from an estate. It does look pretty so I might try to get it for just a few bucks and play. Just was curious if someone recognizes it.
Also, being new to the forum, is this an appropriate post? As I am searching a bit in estate and resales, I will come across a fair bit of older pipes someone here might easily recognize. I will of course do my research, and I am really only interested in well regarded brands, but is this the right way/place to ask for help?

Thanks!
J

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
It’s definitely a stamp, and definitely a brand (as opposed to a hobbyist). Im trying to chase down some details and will post again when I do. Are there no other stamps on the pipe?

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
I hope that you buy this pipe for $22 and sell it the next day for $2,000 or find it to be the best pipe you ever owned and enjoy it for the next fifty (50) years.
That said, I also hope that it is engraved rather than stamped because it sure looks that way to me.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The only relevant listings I could find were from an auction website in South Africa (www.bobshop.co.za).

IMG_1840.jpeg

IMG_1842.jpeg

IMG_1841.jpeg

These were clearly from the same company that made the OP’s pipe but on a standalone basis they don’t solve the problem. The cursive script on the surname can be read several ways, and the various mentions of Lyon and Lugano might be location of manufacture (ie France or Switzerland) or simply names of models. I reached out to someone knowledgeable about lighters to see what they might know. If I hear back I’ll post what I find out.

Well that certainly is a more clean signature, with more clear letters. Very impressive research!
So far they have not responded to my inquiry so we will see when/if I get to see it. But I am very certain they have no idea what it is. It does look very pretty so I may just try it out. Tho I have acquired 15 pipes in 3 days for this new obsession and my wife is soon going to complain.

I hope that you buy this pipe for $22 and sell it the next day for $2,000 or find it to be the best pipe you ever owned and enjoy it for the next fifty (50) years.
That said, I also hope that it is engraved rather than stamped because it sure looks that way to me.
I will gladly sell it to you at a discounted price of $1395.
I don't think I have 50 yrs left in me. But I hope to enjoy another 20-30.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Excellent.
The blocked in upper loop of the capitalized "L" in this photo has resolved what I was seeing on the pipe.
IMG_1840.jpeg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123
Rather than start a new thread, I'm gonna add to this one with a new pipe I'm curious on the ID.

This is one I have also not purchased yet, but I'm thinking about it. Mostly out of curiosity.

It's labeled JEANTET, which is a french maker readily known and talked about. But the stem-logo does not look like the "J" in the images I have found, and I've never seen a Rooster on one. I looked over several older threads. Is this some hack/fake or perhaps an older pipe before they standardised labels? The pipe is in good-ish shape for a neglected pipe, and kinda matches my Big Ben Ranger, so I might try to get it and see how it goes.

Perhaps the stem is from some other pipe (it is currently fairly stuck) - tho it seems unlikely to me to find the same shape?

Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 11.57.04 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-13 at 11.54.10 AM.png