PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Clip

Lurker
May 14, 2024
Southern Indiana
I just tried some of those Drew Estate darkfireds. I liked the smoky flavor and earthiness. A lot of cigars I’ve had come off too sweet, but I want to get into more traditional cigar tobacco. Any recommendations?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
Your question is basically impossible to answer as it is posted, but if you would simply like to try
a few real cigars that are well accepted among cigar smokers, take a look at any site featuring Fuente Cigars. Then look up the Fuente Riserva line of cigars. There will be 5 or 6 cigars listed. Choose a few of those to sample. That will introduce you to several different blends of different types of tobaccos.
That should help you along in the adventure.

I haven’t tried the Drew Estate fire cured cigars, so I cannot recommend anything based on a direct comparison ☹️. But if it is bold, earthy, spicy cigars you are after, I would recommend the Camacho Corojo robusto, Perdomo Habano Bourbon Barrel Aged (Sun Grown) robusto, and E.P. Carrillo Pledge Prequel! The last one definitely has some sweetness to it as well, but it plays well with the earth and pepper in my opinion 😊.

Before recommending more cigars, it might be helpful for others to know how long you typically like to smoke for (and do you consider yourself a slow or fast pipe smoker?). Keep in mind that some vitolas (shapes/sizes) within a line of cigars may smoke better than others, despite the fact that they are all supposed to be approximately the same blend. A preference for a smaller cigar, for example, may disqualify some blend recommendations if the Churchill size stands out but the petit corona misses the mark. Or you can try everything in whatever size you want and judge for yourself!

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
To second what @johnnyflake said, Fuente is a great way to go. Many varieties come wrapped in a light cedar sleeve and if you like the dark fired taste, you'd probably enjoy lighting a cigar with cedar.

Reactions: Clip