PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I've asked this same question before with tobacco, but I'd like to learn more about the affinity you fellas hold for your pipes, as everybody's taste is different. Here's the scenario that forms my question:

You're taking a trip, flying out for a day to a little island and you bring your favorite 3 pipes with you. The plane crashes and you're stranded, assumedly indefinitely.

You lose one pipe. Another becomes your regular all-day smoker. The third you smoke less frequently, trying to prolong its life.

Which is which? (photos optional)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The third you smoke less frequently, trying to prolong its life.
Unless you're trying to destroy a briar pipe you could easily smoke one several times per day for the rest of your life and it could easily last two or more lifetimes after you provided it's regularly cleaned.

I'd just take this one, no need for three.

20230721_155232.jpg

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
So based on that scenario and in my bag that I always carry are 2 pipes.
2 Castello’s and sometimes whatever else I fell like gets thrown in as well in a combo case.
Tossing the combo case and the Castello’s stay. However realistically if I have the 2 I’d still have the 3rd.
After the tobacco runs out I guess I’ll smoke coconut husks and fish scales.IMG_5850.jpeg

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
So in the crash I only lost one pipe and I still have my nail, cleaners, tobacco, and all? Ok. I'm bringing a cob, meerschaum, and Brylon. Those are all more ghosting resistant and can take slightly more "experience". Yes, Brylon. I might need to hammer in a nail or bonk a mischievous monkey on the head for taking the last coconut or something.

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
So in the crash I only lost one pipe and I still have my nail, cleaners, tobacco, and all? Ok. I'm bringing a cob, meerschaum, and Brylon. Those are all more ghosting resistant and can take slightly more "experience". Yes, Brylon. I might need to hammer in a nail or bonk a mischievous monkey on the head for taking the last coconut or something.
What is a Brylon Pipe? I cannot recall ever hearing about one!

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
What is a Brylon Pipe? I cannot recall ever hearing about one!
IronMonkey pretty much nailed it. Resin and wood dust. They smoke pretty warm but they're practically indestructible. Not a pipe I would have gone out of my way to buy, it came with a couple others on a winning auction. But if you really take care to smoke slowly they don't suck. 17160543746853535342013706870291.jpg

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
That we have to lose a pipe ruins the game for me. :ROFLMAO:

Given more time to think about this, my mind would likely change, but at the moment, I would pick any three of these:

IMG_0017.jpeg

(All Stanwell 95s.)

I picked these up over time for their durability, pipes for drinking (though I don’t imbibe so much anymore). They’re designed to be fit with filters, though I don’t use them, I just like the open draw. The tenons are not fragile. The stems are acrylic, so both the bowls and stems could be dunked in the water for cleaning, in case I run out of pipe cleaners in this scenario. The chambers are .8 inch in diameter and not deep, so I could more easily conserve tobacco. The walls are thick as hell and the wood at the heel is not thin, so burnout would not be a concern. I’d just hide pipe 3 in case something incidental happened to pipe 2, otherwise I don’t have to worry about conservation, even if I’m crudely lighting up with a stick from the fire (I would figure out how to get around this obstacle). Either would last ”indefinitely.”

Brylon, though … not a bad idea.