PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriaRanger

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi all

Being new to pipe smoking, I am trying to figure out what my tastebuds like, and so far had a good time with EMP.
I still can’t figure out what type of leaf mixes makes what type of blend, but I want to try a local shop’s houseblend. Maybe some of tou can say according to the description what type of blend it is and which one would you intrigue you to try out?

Option 1
A Perfect blend of turkish, latakia, black cavendish and perique

Option 2
Latakia, turkish flake with hints of burley.

Option 3
Virginia, burley, oriental and perique.

Option 4
Burley, virginia and kentucky.

Option 5
cavendishes, virginias and burley, matured to produce a delightful aroma and a refreshing fruity taste.

Thank you for your time and answers

Reactions: gord

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Hi all

Being new to pipe smoking, I am trying to figure out what my tastebuds like, and so far had a good time with EMP.
I still can’t figure out what type of leaf mixes makes what type of blend, but I want to try a local shop’s houseblend. Maybe some of tou can say according to the description what type of blend it is and which one would you intrigue you to try out?

Option 1
A Perfect blend of turkish, latakia, black cavendish and perique

Option 2
Latakia, turkish flake with hints of burley.

Option 3
Virginia, burley, oriental and perique.

Option 4
Burley, virginia and kentucky.

Option 5
cavendishes, virginias and burley, matured to produce a delightful aroma and a refreshing fruity taste.

Thank you for your time and answers

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I'd opt for #1 or #3 for a morning smoke. The perique gives a "twang" that I enjoy in the morning. #3 sounds a bit like Tobacco Barn's "Rockwell", my preferred morning smoke, so that'd be the first one I'd try. Also Latakia, which is the featured content of almost all English Blends. I'd probably try #2 out of curiousity, because at least to my knowledge, I wouldn't call this traditional English.

But my first inclination is #3.

BriaRanger

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
I'd opt for #1 or #3 for a morning smoke. The perique gives a "twang" that I enjoy in the morning. #3 sounds a bit like Tobacco Barn's "Rockwell", my preferred morning smoke, so that'd be the first one I'd try. Also Latakia, which is the featured content of almost all English Blends. I'd probably try #2 out of curiousity, because at least to my knowledge, I wouldn't call this traditional English.

But my first inclination is #3.
Thank you sir, your response is very helpful!

Reactions: kcghost

BriaRanger

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
This kind if a bizarre question. I'll answer by saying I like Nightcap and Westminster amongst Latakia blends and Six Pence, Stonehenge, and Mad Fiddler Flake amongst Virginia/Perique's.
Hi thank you. What I’m trying to also ask is what type of blends is the blends of the local shop. Is option 1 a english or scotish or something else? I dont yet know what combos makes what kind of blend.

Reactions: kcghost

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I would go 3, 2, 4, 1, 5. But those are just my tastes. And at the end of the day they won't mean much to you. I'm not sure how it works out financially, but if I could I'd get the smallest amount of each.

Hey, so how is the guy behind the counter at your B&M? If they're any good, I'd talk to them. Tell them you like EMP and why. That's a good blend to compare, it's pretty ubiquitous. And the guy behind the counter sound know the jarred blends well enough to compare. Better than us whole continents away.

As far as labels, they are all more suggestions than anything. They're no standardization for what separates an English from Scottish from Balkan. Looking at the descriptions above, I guess it would be Scottish-ish. But I'm happy to be wrong about that.

BriaRanger

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
I would go 3, 2, 4, 1, 5. But those are just my tastes. And at the end of the day they won't mean much to you. I'm not sure how it works out financially, but if I could I'd get the smallest amount of each.

Hey, so how is the guy behind the counter at your B&M? If they're any good, I'd talk to them. Tell them you like EMP and why. That's a good blend to compare, it's pretty ubiquitous. And the guy behind the counter sound know the jarred blends well enough to compare. Better than us whole continents away.

As far as labels, they are all more suggestions than anything. They're no standardization for what separates an English from Scottish from Balkan. Looking at the descriptions above, I guess it would be Scottish-ish. But I'm happy to be wrong about that.
Thank you, this helps me a lot!