PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

birdog

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2019
Upstate, South Carolina
I am working on a 7 oz can of Granger....the flavor reminds me of Sir Walter Raleigh regular , of yesteryear. it is a bit bitey on the tongue and I do enjoy it better using a 9 mm filter pipe ....

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
To me BL/WB is sweeter, more flavored/artificial tasting and somewhat bitey despite the name. Top flavor has an odd coconut note to it that I just don't care for. It is really light and not much nicotine. Overall I don't like it. PA and CH are plenty good. At least they were.

towhee89

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2021
Morganton, North Carolina
Been a Prince Albert smoker for years. I actually live 20 minutes from the King of Prussia facility. Even though they moved the pipe tobacco production to the Dominican Republic they are still using U.S. grown Piedmont burley, white burley and turkish. I worked at a place that warehoused a lot of John Middleton materials and knew employees from the facility. Trust me, there is no molasses in the blend. It is liquorice in the casing, then a chocolate liqueur and Maple sugar in the topping. To be honest I think Velvet really tried to copy the recipe. They even cornered the liquorice production to stop other tobacco companies from acquiring any. The secret in Prince Albert was they WAY they manufactured the blend. They steamed and crimped the tobacco before aging it in hogsheads. I saw some tobacco shipping manifests from South Carolina to Dominican Republic for the tobacco plants down there. It's all public on the internet for people to read.

Very interesting! I had read another comment on (I believe) a review on p&c saying that PA had Turkish leaf in it (it could have been you possibly). I was only aware of it being burley and cavendish. I'd love to know if you have any links online to where I could read more. Whatever they do, I love how bite-free it is. I personally have really enjoyed the Dominican version, and am dying to get my hands on a tub of the newer Carter Hall also (which I also loved in the pouches)

I actually have a book about RJ Reynolds by Nannie M. Tilley that I have only briefly scanned, but I know there's a wealth of amazing info about Prince Albert in there I need to read.

I'm sad I never got to try any other Middleton blends. I've had the Walnut sutliff match and really liked it.

Reactions: f4phantomdriver