PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I lost ALL my firearms in a tragic boating accident several years ago as stated previously.
There, I fixed that for you.
I've tried to track down the origin of this meme, to no avail. But I'm pretty sure that it started on the old Cruffler C&R listserve, which dated back to 1991 or so. I don't remember exactly who coined it, but from there it went to arfcom and then out into the universe.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
The P365 SAS is a perfect semiauto carry gun. Low snag potential, very compact, exceptionally reliable.

If I could carry one, I would. Open carry is constitutional in Pennsylvania, but my clients wouldn't appreciate it.

The house gun is a Remington TAC 13 with a Streamlight, red dot and pistol brace. Compact, turns corners easily, flashlight illuminates the whole f'n house. I set this up when a bunch of meth farmers moved in across the lane from us. They're gone now (after a police involved shooting there), but the hand cannon stays. We have almost no crime in my township, until we do.
Tac 13’s are Great, I have one in my Jeep with #4 buck and my Original Issue Witness Protection which I purchased from my agency.
I have a 365 SAS and I’m considering adding a traditional slide with
trijicons although the mepro sighting system works fine you lose some reaction time getting your sight picture. Ive used Streamlight myself since around 1994 and use their TLR’s on a few house and truck guns.

• Love
Reactions: woodsroad

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've not seen mention of noting the backstop, particularly those of you who prefer weapons with great penetration power. An improper backstop, thin walls, adjoining living quarters or shops, no backstop on on open street with peds and traffic and such may mean you shouldn't engage because of the risk to innocent bystanders. Sometimes you simply can't engage an assailant.

Nor have I noticed, might have missed such, any mention of knowing the local laws, inside and out, backwards and forwards with regard to self defense and/or the defense of others.

And, for your own protection after being involved in a shooting answer no questions from the cops except to ID self. They are not your friends at this point in time. Your second call, after 911, is to your lawyer. Answer nothing, no matter how innocuous the question appears, until your personal attorney is on scene and you've consulted with him/her, privately.

Last edited:

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I’ll disagree.
Children need to taught about firearms. The dangers, the benefits the seriousness of the responsibility in possessing one. If there are guns in the house, they need to be demystified for children, their use normalized and respected. My daughter learned the rules of safe handling very early on. She learned to shoot before a lot of kids learn to read. Now, at almost 25, she has no interest in firearms, but she doesn’t have an irrational fear of them, either.
Absolutely agree

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I used to CC daily when I worked moving money from place to place. And when I worked in repo. Your Glock will be good if you like it.
I can certainly appreciate your feelings of firearms around your children. Believe me, Mrs. Rookie and I had several good long talks about that. It's certainly a balancing act with them around. But I'll say this. You cannot hide it from your children. You cannot really hide anything from children for very long. In the case of your gun, they will find it. They'll at least know where it is. That's something you're going to have to deal with one way or another. Keep in mind age and maturity and a slew of other variables which I honestly can't think of now.

After carrying for long enough, I learned where not to skimp. Don't cheap out on a holster. If it doesn't work for you, get another one. If it's not comfortable when worn correctly, you're either not going to wear it correctly or not wear it at all. Your regular belt isn't going to cut it either. Pistol belts cost that much for a reason and you'll want one soon. The other place I see too many people saving money is at the range. Get good and stay good. Shooting is a skill that will definitely atrophy if you let it. So you should definitely be a regular at your local ranges.

You mentioned about safety earlier. So you know the rules. Finger off the trigger until you're ready to pull it, all guns are loaded all the time even if you've just unloaded it, be sure of your target as well as what's behind, and don't point it at anything you don't want aerated. Seems simple enough, but this rules are written in blood.
There's 2 other rules that frequently get left out by should be included more. First, safely stored. On you is best. If you'll have to leave it in a vehicle, really know your area. I wouldn't around my hometown (Baltimore, Maryland, lots of theft) but others live in more civilized places and don't have the same concerns. In a safe is the second best place for it. The second is carrying while enjoying tasty adult beverages. Not because of any worries about aggression or anything like that. But I have seen people drinking lose the cigar in their hand or the glasses on their face. Alcohol can breed a certain carelessness that doesn't jive well with a firearm.

As far as tales, I'm sorry. I've concealed carried for a little over 20 years and never drew it outside of the range. All my fun or funny tales come from the range or hunting or the military. And if I can live out the rest of my days like with that streak, I'll be happy.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Don't cheap out on a holster. If it doesn't work for you, get another one. If it's not comfortable when worn correctly, you're either not going to wear it correctly or not wear it at all.
Why not simply have your rear pockets modified, the lower half soft leather. A "belly gun" will fit comfortably, sitting below one's "cheek." No tell-tale bulges at the waist and in a natural position when you reach for your wallet if mugged. Your assailant will be surprised and possibly immobilized for a second when your meek compliance suddenly erupts into your fist spitting fire and lead. Another is a jacket/vest pocket carry. Nothing more disconcerting then when an outer garment spouts hot lead at three or four feet. If you can point a gun where you are looking, it's a necessary acquired skill, no acquiring of sights required, I doubt there will be return fire.

Another thing, so far unmentioned is, how to move to counteract where your assailant is likely to shoot. If they are right handed, their natural aim point is to your right of center of mass, step to your left as you bring your weapon into play. Left handed? move left. Is the assailant's weapon in fact real? Can you see lead in the chambers of a revolver. Is the assailant's pistol cocked? Is it the type which needs to be? Can you take cover and reduce the threat? Should you? Can you make the assailant's weapon inactive by grabbing it correctly, freezing the cylinder, blocking the hammer fall with your thumb? Can you grab the weapon, turn it into the assailant's belly and when let him pull the trigger? There are a myriad of correct responses to be learned and practiced until that are simply reactions to recognized threats.

I never taught on the range, I had subordinates to do that. I taught "Officer Survival", how to respond when attacked and take down an armed assailant who has the advantage, weapon drawn and armed, while minimizing your own exposure. Something to keep in mind, many people pull a weapon and then, reluctant to shoot, have it taken away and are dispatched with their own gun.

Food for thought. CCW classes generally do not prepare the attendee for armed combat. Specialized, long, involved courses are available though.

Last edited:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Just a last note to help establish my bona fides. One of my jobs was to study, intensely, reports of "officer involved shootings." I looked for mistakes officers made and helped developed counter measures an officer could use when at a disadvantage. Having your weapon holstered while facing an armed assailant is being at a disadvantage. I learned from and helped others, charged as I was, with developing proper responses to such situations.

"Gunsite Academy" has a great reputation. Years ago, I sent more than a few officers there, primarily to learn sniper techniques/skills, or instructor skills. So, if you want to learn, check their latest reviews, speak to grads and prepare to shell out some dollars. Well spent dollars if things haven't gone downhill.

Last edited: