Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 2, 2024
Eastern CT
With all the emphasis that gets put on packing loosely, I wasn't expecting that to be the problem, but turns out it was. Part of the issue is the first tobacco I halfway learned how to smoke was propylene glycol drenched Captain Black, which needs to be packed looser than anything else I've tried. In my fumbling and experimenting, I kept packing looser and looser in search of a better smoking experience, but it turns out I was going in the wrong direction.

It wasn't as obvious with other aromatics, but when I tried some pretty dry Early Morning Pipe for the first time, it burned like a house afire and was very harsh. On my second try I packed it a lot tighter and got some nice flavor out if it, although it still burned pretty hot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I've seen it said that English blends should be packed relatively loosely. But "relatively" is the key word there. With aromatics like the Sutliff Vanilla Custard I've been smoking for the last week, even when not much drier than it comes out of the baggie, I've found that it's much better when I pack it tight enough to have some resistance on the draw.

I use more or less the Frank method--I gravity fill the bowl, then put a big pinch on top and work it in. It was a big improvement for me over the "three pinch" method at first (with Captain Black), I believe because the tobacco was looser in the bottom of the bowl. But it seems to me that the success of the Frank method depends on getting a good column of tobacco into the pipe when you work the "packet" in. If it's not a big enough pinch or too much of it just falls off over the side, as happens to me a lot, it won't be tight enough. What I do now is, if I don't feel some resistance on a cold draw, I shove it down into the bowl until it feels something like sucking a milkshake through a straw (a relatively thin one, maybe, depends on your milkshake and your straw.)

Just some food for thought for fellow noobs. If your pipe seems harsh and you're struggling to get flavor besides burning lawn clippings, and you've read a million times that you should pack looser but it's not working, you just might be packing too loosely. As with anything pipe related, your mileage may vary.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I'm glad you're figuring out what works for you, and yes, you can pack too loosely. I prefer to start a little too loose as I can always tighten my draw by tamping as I go along. I used to put a lot of thought into specific packing methods but now I just primarily grab some tobacco, rub it out to my desired consistency, and pack it in the bowl. I never really think about this anymore. It's become second nature. I'm sure you'll reach this point as well. Keep on puffing bro.

Apr 2, 2024
Eastern CT
Glad it works for you, pipe smoking is very much "your milage may vary" I just kind of put tobacco in the bowl and smoke it, i have a feeling if i thought about it too much i would eff it all up! Happy smoking!
Virginia flake usually works out that way for me, I just kind of stuff it in and it seems to be just right. I thought I had it too tight at first, but it burned nicely with a lot of flavor.

'olbuzzsaw

Lurker
Apr 11, 2024
Northwest Indiana
I'm glad you're figuring out what works for you, and yes, you can pack too loosely. I prefer to start a little too loose as I can always tighten my draw by tamping as I go along. I used to put a lot of thought into specific packing methods but now I just primarily grab some tobacco, rub it out to my desired consistency, and pack it in the bowl. I never really think about this anymore. It's become second nature. I'm sure you'll reach this point as well. Keep on puffing bro.
This is exactly what works for me and I stumbled upon it just by dumb luck. Unlike OP my bowls were lasting for over an hour with the 3 pinch method so I was on the opposite end of the spectrum. Everything was off. Flavor, moisture, re-lights, tongue bite, etc. It seems what makes sense in my brain is to have a looser bowl that you can adjust for along the way with tamping properly. It's good to bank all of this info from a personal standpoint. Thanks guys.

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
All that matters is that you find what gives you the best results. Kudos for the experimentation. It's part of the fun and intricacy of the hobby. Packing a pipe, for me, has become like an autonomic reflex...or driving home on "auto-pilot," but it certainly wasn't always that way. I did the same back in the day. Enjoy!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am starting to think it might help more to give new smokers an idea of two things with packing. Firstly the bottom of the chamber should be the least packed bit and that the end result however got there should draw easily but with just a tiny bit of resistance, like drinking water from a straw but nothing thicker then that.

Aug 1, 2012
Cue the "codger scoop" guys telling you that's the only way to do it.

Seriously though, good observations OP. Keep experimenting and you'll find the way that works for you.

Reactions: anotherbob
Feb 26, 2024
Los Angeles
I am starting to think it might help more to give new smokers an idea of two things with packing. Firstly the bottom of the chamber should be the least packed bit and that the end result however got there should draw easily but with just a tiny bit of resistance, like drinking water from a straw but nothing thicker then that.
The straw bit helped me get my packing down. Now it’s just second nature!

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
My only method is put tobacco in the pipe tamp it down and light It. Repeat until goes out tamping it down to level. Tamping pressure is changed how dry the tobacco is and how it’s smoking but it comes like second nature now and I just kind of just do it and smoke with out much more thought and I am at peace, the way the great spirit intended ;)

Also there are times where I start out with a full bowl but within 5 minutes I can find myself tamping it down to half a bowl with tamping adjustment. No biggie, it’s just tobacco and I live by my own rules, and I’m content with that.

Last edited:

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
The feel of the draw depends on the pipe in question. My corncob was free drawing like trying to drink from a firehose. I could probably have used that for a snorkel at the beach if it were long enough. My 9mm filter pipes are completely different animals and start from an empty bowl with a slightly restricted draw. Huge amounts of variables here to deal with.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The feel of the draw depends on the pipe in question. My corncob was free drawing like trying to drink from a firehose. I could probably have used that for a snorkel at the beach if it were long enough. My 9mm filter pipes are completely different animals and start from an empty bowl with a slightly restricted draw. Huge amounts of variables here to deal with.
Yes indeed. This on top of the variables in tobacco cut, size of cut, moisture content of the tobacco, how tightly packed, and ambient humidity.