PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I have a natural, unwelcoming, look which makes others averse to approaching me. I cultivated it early in life and, it works to perfection. It's all in the eyes. Some seem to think a man with a pipe is approachable. My look seems to disabuse them of such an outrageous idea.
Me,I’m just ugly. So it naturally keeps people away from me.

• Wow
Reactions: romaso

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Many people are lonely and just want a kind word or some affirmation in a difficult life. It doesn't take much to have a pleasant exchange with someone or share a joke and go on your way. I understand people don't want to get 'involved' but that's not what most people want anyway. Nowadays its even worse with all of the anxiety over the future. People treat you better if your kinder rather than gruff. 2 cents

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Many people are lonely and just want a kind word or some affirmation in a difficult life. It doesn't take much to have a pleasant exchange with someone or share a joke and go on your way. I understand people don't want to get 'involved' but that's not what most people want anyway. Nowadays its even worse with all of the anxiety over the future. People treat you better if your kinder rather than gruff. 2 cents
Takes even less to leave people alone.

If someone's lonely and just wants a kind word or affirmation, they can join a social club where socialization is expected, rather than random other strangers on the street or in the store that are just trying to get through their day. Or they could get therapy, or answer the door when a Mormon or JW comes knocking, or go to a bar, join a book club, join a church... the possibilities are endless as to where socializing with a stranger is expected.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I spent my career hassling folks or helping them. I am no longer concerned with the woes of others. If someone needs emergency assistance I'll revert back to my, no doubted dated, training, and perform as needed. Other than that, I feel no obligation to my fellow man. I'm done sticking my nose in other people's woes unless there is an immediate emergency.

I expect I'm jaded. My cup of the milk of human kindness was upended years ago.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was at a British car show last weekend. An old-timer with a stooped back and cane was walking around the cars and smoking a pipe. I asked him what he was smoking and he said "A little of this and that". I said it looks like you have a Peterson there. (it was a Peterson strummel with a Dr. Grabow stem stuck in it....) He smiled and said, you know your pipes, and kept walking.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
As I’ve gotten on I’ve applied some simple rules… one of which is be polite, but don’t pushover. For example, if a stranger comes over to me and invites a bit of conversation…I accommodate to the point which I care to. Usually it might be a person walking their dog in the neighborhood or a patient’s family member asking questions about their loved one. I address them as appropriate and move on. However, in both circumstances I can leave those conversations anytime I wish to. You shouldn’t feel obligated to talk to anyone if you don’t want to. Some folks seek out discourse with strangers…I’m not one of them. However, I’ll entertain their efforts up to the point my time and inclination determines. Take it this way…I’ve seen many “famous” people in the wild and have never gone over to speak to them or annoy them. They are people and just trying to get on I assume without being bothered. I’d treat “regular folks” like Duane, Warren & Sardonicus much the same way. 🤷‍♂️☕

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Takes even less to leave people alone.

If someone's lonely and just wants a kind word or affirmation, they can join a social club where socialization is expected, rather than random other strangers on the street or in the store that are just trying to get through their day. Or they could get therapy, or answer the door when a Mormon or JW comes knocking, or go to a bar, join a book club, join a church... the possibilities are endless as to where socializing with a stranger is expected.
I have to deal with people every day. I have found a way to make that easier for both parties. My life would be infinitely more difficult if I was socially impolite. I need to survive and get work done in the quickest fastest, easiest way possible. I understand your position and would even agree in some situations but not all. As they say ... YMMV. ;) :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: fireground_piper

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm fascinated you find an interest in pipes and motorcycles to be unusual. I rode a bike, been through Wisconsin a few times back in the day when I could physically and mentally handle one. Had to visit the HD plant and Lambeau at least once. :) Lots of bikes on the roads back then. Pipe smokers? Rarer of course.

Reactions: jpmcwjr