108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

G

Gimlet

Actually, most conversations I've had that have been generated by my pipe have come from cigarette smokers who have gone outside whatever building they happened to be in so they can have a puff, and they've bumped into me with my pipe.
Most will say something, usually along the lines of, oh, you don't see many pipe smokers these days. They're just curious. Why am I peacefully smoking a pipe instead of puffing an industrial tab like them? I'm happy to talk about it. If I can convince one cigarette smoker to try proper tobacco I consider it a good deed done.

Reactions: romaso and scloyd

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I always hope to find another pipe smoker out in the wild when I go out, but never have. Except one time on the freeway, but that hardly counts. Even if I did, though, I would probably only ask a simple "what are you smoking?" in passing. I wouldn't want to bother them unless they seemed interested in having a conversation.

Reactions: scloyd

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Imagine this: You have been flying a kite for years. You fly your kite at places like the beach and the park. You have never seen anyone else flying a kite. Then lo and behold, one day you see another kite flyer. Would you want to say something to this other kite flyer? Probably? Maybe? Absolutely not?

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Depends on how intense and annoying the person was. I don't mind brief encounters and small talk, but if they started to irritate me or make me feel tired...I would politely excuse and remove myself from the situation.
Chester And Spike

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Blimey, I hadn't noticed til now how complicated it is being a human being.
I'm quite baffled why so many find social interaction so difficult.
Complicated? Difficult? Hardly! I am often alone but, never lonely. I simply do not need to interact face to face with strangers. Should I desire such, I've a handful of friends and quite a few acquaintances. I'm not particularly interested in what other smokers put in their pipes or, for that matter, their pipes. I can search out, on-line or in person, information I seek. But, I have no interest in the opinions of others or, investigating their life-style choices. And, I no longer am required to do so.

I simply husband my time, carefully. Social intercourse is, I find, mostly chit-chat. A lot of inanity also. People waste so much precious time, as it is, without the needless interaction of "small talk." I am perfectly able to interact socially with others, known and unknown when required by circumstances. I can be avuncular, friendly, polite and etc. I simply prefer not to as a general rule. Hardly complicated. And, after reading this you should no longer be "baffled", with regard to my aversion to purposeless/idle social contact anyway.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I consider this to be a serious discussion. rotf And, I'm not averse to all contact, particularly cries for assistance when confused about the differences within the humans. You stated you were "baffled". I simply tried to assist in "unbaffling" you. My apologies!

Reactions: sardonicus87

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I don't think anyone said it was difficult. Kind of funny how there's so many different presumptions thrown at those that want to be left alone, whereas almost no presumptions thrown from those that want to be left alone at those who do want interaction.

It's really quite simple, some of us just want to be left alone. That's it. Not because it's hard to interact, not because we can't, not because whatever reason you like to throw out. And just because we don't want to, doesn't mean we're necessarily mean to people who try or anything else.

Just accept it and stop assuming more than what's explicitly said.

I could just as easily ask why is it so hard for you to not interact when you want to. Then start accusing you of ego problems or some other such nonsense.

And in reference to the kite thing... yeah, I am the type that wouldn't be excited to see someone else flying a kite if I had done it for 40 years and never crossed another before that also flew a kite. Wouldn't be excited, wouldn't bother them.

Last edited:

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
I can only take so much groping and signing breasts when I'm out in public with my pipe. It can get overwhelming at times and then I need my precious solitude. No offense people...6307d04be317a.image.png

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I guess I was spotted in the wild today. I was parked at a red light in front of a local university on my way to a business meeting and took the opportunity to light my Peterson Pub Pipe. The young man in a pick up truck next to me rolled down his window and said "That's some style!" and gave me several thumbs up signs. I said "Thanks, its a Peterson" ... I have know idea if that meant anything or registered in one so young but I did my part. I didn't know I had style or a lifestyle depending on what he meant. I guess I'm now stylin' !!! :col: In my defense its is a particularly beautiful pub pipe.

BayouGhost

Lurker
Apr 10, 2024
PA, USA
The internet and social media has fed the tribal tendency. But for most grown-ups, discussing the minutia of a hobby over the ether is unlikely to translate into tribal fraternalism in real life. I would never dream of crossing the street, as it were, to accost a pipe smoker I didn't know on the assumption that he would relish taking time out of his day to discuss burley blends and retrohaling with a stranger.
We do that on here because that is the purpose of a special-interest forum and participation is voluntary and engagement a deliberate act of choice. But then, I suspect most of us on here are of an age that predates social media and we learnt our social skills face to face, so we understand such boundaries implicitly. I wonder whether the same will ever be true again for future generations.

Maybe there's a cultural element here as well. The majority of members on this forum are Americans. I'm from the UK where we're possible somewhat more socially conservative. Our equivalent of fist-pumping a stranger and addressing him as "brother" because he happens to be a fellow pipe smoker, or motorcyclist, or wears the same sort of hat, is to proffer a reserved nod from about ten yards away and then move on.

And talking of motorcyclists, I am also one of this breed and one of my motorcycles (I have three) happens to be a Harley Davidson. I often stop off at bike meets for a cup of tea and a natter and to wander round looking at the bikes. When I'm on my KTM or my Ducati, I'm just a normal member of the human race and the usual civilities apply. When I'm on the Harley, non-Harley riders seem to avoid me, perhaps on the assumption that I won't want to talk to them, while fellow Harleyists seem to think that by purchasing this make of motorcycle I've become a member of some sort of secret society that warrants a rather over-familiar semi-hug and a silly handshake by way of acknowledgement. I wish they'd just stick to the nod and the regulation chat about whether it might rain this afternoon.
To be fair, the O.P. did not interact with this person. I generally agree with your assessment, I will say that some or maybe the majority of us on this side of the pond would likewise leave the person alone or at least read if an interaction was desired and are not all a homogenous group of uncultured chimpanzees. That being said, I will concede that we would possibly be more apt to be the offenders, as a group, if lumped all together, with risk factors increasing or decreasing depending on local customs. Cheers.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I have a natural, unwelcoming, look which makes others averse to approaching me. I cultivated it early in life and, it works to perfection. It's all in the eyes. Some seem to think a man with a pipe is approachable. My look seems to disabuse them of such an outrageous idea.
Warren, I think you look like an inviting Alaskan Teddy Bear 🧸. 🤣☕