PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
I purchased a Zippo butane pipe lighter insert today.
It functions just like a regular lighter. You need to hold the striker down. The flame comes from the side, preventing it from heating the spark wheel or burning your fingers. Additionally, it doesn't have the unpleasant smell associated with fluid inserts. The slanted flame makes it easier to lit a pipe. I am very satisfied with it.
The only downside is that the button is a little bit small. They should make it bigger.

699843_0.jpg699842_0.jpg

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
Being a guy who only smokes outside, I wish I could find a butane lighter that was windproof, but I've never run across one. The slightest breeze and they all become worthless.
I have the regular Zippo windproof insert, and it works very well. I personally don't notice any odor or taste from the fuel either. I've come to squirt a little fuel in it every time I come back in though, even with the rubber seal on the bottom.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Being a guy who only smokes outside, I wish I could find a butane lighter that was windproof, but I've never run across one. The slightest breeze and they all become worthless.
I have the regular Zippo windproof insert, and it works very well. I personally don't notice any odor or taste from the fuel either. I've come to squirt a little fuel in it every time I come back in though, even with the rubber seal on the bottom.
Excluding torch lighters, it's nearly impossible to make a wickless lighter windproof.

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
I have one also. But I use a bic lighter more often than not. Due to the fact I have burnt my thumb multiple times cause you have to hold the button down and for the fact it doesn’t stay lit even with the slightest breeze. Probably gonna buy a fluid insert here soon and use that instead

Reactions: kcghost

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have one also. But I use a bic lighter more often than not. Due to the fact I have burnt my thumb multiple times cause you have to hold the button down and for the fact it doesn’t stay lit even with the slightest breeze. Probably gonna buy a fluid insert here soon and use that instead
The Zippo pipe insert does work well. The included literature used to tell how to modify a regular insert for pipe use.

20190410_035908-1.png

Reactions: Pappy Coon

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
After trying the thunderbird butane insert for my zippo that failed within a month and also several other $30 + refillable butane lighters that worked for less than a month I just stick to bics and normal fuel zippos. Having some real urges to splurge on a corona old boy in hopes it would last more than 30 days.

i had the zippo butane shown by the op ordered at Amazon but then just canceled it four hours later because I had a pretty good feeling I know how thats going to turn out and would end up just like the thunderbird insert.

looking forward to a 90 day follow up.

Reactions: hyperstar

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
You could try one of those new Brebbia dome torch lighters.

morescnj

Lurker
Apr 13, 2024
Northern California
I too am relegated to outside smoking (preferred), or my garage. I use a Corona (Japanese) angled lighter. It does pretty well. However, I find a good ole bic does good on a breezy day. $150 Vs $1. LOL IMG_2851.jpeg

Reactions: hyperstar
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
+1

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
After trying the thunderbird butane insert for my zippo that failed within a month and also several other $30 + refillable butane lighters that worked for less than a month I just stick to bics and normal fuel zippos. Having some real urges to splurge on a corona old boy in hopes it would last more than 30 days.

i had the zippo butane shown by the op ordered at Amazon but then just canceled it four hours later because I had a pretty good feeling I know how thats going to turn out and would end up just like the thunderbird insert.

looking forward to a 90 day follow up.
The butane pipe insert made by Zippo has a 2 yr warranty, so you’re covered. Mine is 4 months old, no problems. I’m not a daily smoker though.

I agree with others it’s not perfect, small button, you have to angle the flame perfectly not to rim char, but all things considered is the best option (or Z plus) for those of us who don’t want fuel. 20$ bucks US for 2 year warranty ain’t bad.

Reactions: hyperstar and Medy