PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I started my day with Orlik Golden Sliced in the Morgan Bones, and now I'm having a nice leisurely evening smoke of some Cornell & Diehl Pegasus in a Country Gentleman cob. I've always smoked Pegasus in very small pipes since I found it a little harsh, but trying it now in a larger pipe it's smoking completely smooth and with zero sinus sting on the retrohale. I guess this blend just performs better in a bigger pipe!

IMG20240418225043~2.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Near the first third of this bowl of Wilke No. 72 in a pre-1974 dark brown straight Larus & Brother Co. Signature billiard with a nickel band and a tapered black vulcanite stem with the initials LCR on the top of the stem. This blend was smoked by Walter Cronkite.
Larus and Brother pot.jpg

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Finally got around to the MacBaren HH Latakia Flake. Rubbed out two flakes and packed the Falcon.
Perfect moisture level right out of the tin. It lit and burned perfectly all the way through.

Oh My, this stuff is good!

I was surprised by the sweetness of this. It is an earthy smoke in which I detected cream and honey notes in the bottom half of the bowl, and the sweetness stays with it becoming darker and somewhat caramelized tasting as one goes along. It is a complex yet surprisingly subtle blend, and I will have to take some more time with this to sus it all out.
Fantastic!

Apr 26, 2020
Northern California
McCranies "Roanoke" from an Alexander Hasty, enjoyed with some Milk Oolong. Taking this time to remember all the great music Dickey Betts gave us, may he RIP……I agree, @AppalachianPipe92 , just heard he passed, what a picker, songwriter and voice he had. An original. Have all the Great Southern albums on vinyl.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Near the half way mark of this bowl of Wilke Back Bay w/o perique in a straight smooth brown undated pre-Republic Peterson Dublin Sterling Canadian 264 with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite stem. I got John Brandt to make this for me. It’s not on the menu, but he’ll make you a batch if you ask. Downloading photos and videos of the scampers.
Peterson_PR_Canadian_Sterling264 .jpg

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Whew!
I just finished catching up with all the posts I missed while at the Chicago Show - more than 75 pages! And, yes, I read them all; it took me three evenings.
The show was great. It was wonderful to reconnect with all those I’ve met and known over the years since that first show back in the 1990s. And it was fun meeting some of the denizens of this Forum face-to-face.
Although I spent most of the weekend at my Registration table post, and helping where needed, I enjoyed a few pipes in the smoking tent.
Two memorable smokes included sharing a bowl with a few of my CPCC buddies on Friday, particularly my old friend and fellow “original member” Jim York (there are only about a half dozen of us left). I smoked some Drama Reserve in a GBD Fantasy Dublin 864 that J. T. Cooke meticulously restored for me, back in the day.
The second smoke was on Saturday afternoon with my good friend Alex Florov, his friend Ping Zhan and some of Ping’s colleagues. I enjoyed a bowl of my “Dino’s Mixture” in my Peterson POTY 2002 bulldog with a silver spigot that my wife bought me at the Dublin Grafton store during our trip to Ireland in 2002.
It was a weekend of great conversations, pipe and tobacco talk, camaraderie and just plain fun.
Thank you to all who came to our show!
I hope to see y’all next year.

1713511071812.jpeg

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've passed the half way mark of this bowl of year 2014 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a 1984 medium bend black grain etched Savinelli Non Pareil 9310 poker with a horn ferrule and a black vulcanite flared stem. Still have things to do.
Savinelli_NonPareil_poker9310.jpg

No other news today except to note that this orange baby and his multi-colored brother think my fingers taste like chicken.
McltFinger1.jpg
McltClimbMe2.jpgOrngFinger2.jpg
OrngFinger5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.